From Twin City Poultry: ATTENTION ANTIGEN CUSTOMERS: We have been told by the manufacturer that they are hoping to be approved by the USDA sometime the end of April?.

Interesting! I called the Idaho department of Agriculture today, and they still had not recieved word yet on when it would be available. I am hoping to cross into Utah for an event the end of April. The Idaho representative was somewhat positive we might be able to get it before then.

However, I also talked to the Utah deprartment of Agriculture today. I was told that there are small quantities of it available (they have some, too bad I'm in Idaho). What happened is the manufacturer of it quit, and the new supplier has not yet been approved for their antigen. I'm sure it takes time to do that as well as a lot of testing. The field veterinarian for the Utah Department of Agriculture told me he was informed that by mid-summer the new supplier's antigen should be approved and ready to go! I sure like the sounds of April better, so let's cross our fingers for that date.

The woman at the Idaho Dept. said she sent an email today to the USDA for an update and will let me know. I'll keep you posted. She also said she reached out to Oregon last week to see if they had heard anything yet, and they hadn't either. This shortage has been sooooo long!

Interesting! I called the Idaho department of Agriculture today, and they still had not recieved word yet on when it would be available. I am hoping to cross into Utah for an event the end of April. The Idaho representative was somewhat positive we might be able to get it before then.

However, I also talked to the Utah deprartment of Agriculture today. I was told that there are small quantities of it available (they have some, too bad I'm in Idaho). What happened is the manufacturer of it quit, and the new supplier has not yet been approved for their antigen. I'm sure it takes time to do that as well as a lot of testing. The field veterinarian for the Utah Department of Agriculture told me he was informed that by mid-summer the new supplier's antigen should be approved and ready to go! I sure like the sounds of April better, so let's cross our fingers for that date.

Would you mind if I shared this information on a Facebook page I have? I'm trying to keep everyone updated. Feel free to join! It's for any NPIP certified testers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/301571857188357/

I am a tester in Michigan, also looking for serum. My certification is about to expire because I haven't been able to get any!

Just got notice from MI that no antigen will be available until September. Michigan is allowing antigen less than 36 months beyond expiration to be used. MDARD should also have a list of who has antigen to sell. Contact Tina if you are a tester in MI and have questions. If you are in another state contact your state.

I will not be buying antigen this year. The waiting list is cancelled, and I am not taking any more reservations. Check with your state agriculture department for what their plan B is.
In my opinion, this whole ordeal is proven to be a racket. If expired antigen is reliable, there should not be a 1 year expiration on antigen. You are forced to purchase a product each and every year, with only one manufacturer in America. On top of that, the poultry shops where the antigen is sold, there is a minimum $100 mark up on 1000 test bottles. I have been selling antigen for the last 4 years because I was getting a 175% return on my money in 6-8 weeks. It's been a good side hustle, but at this point I think you all should become more informed. Something is not right with what is going on, and maybe your agriculture departments should be reviewing this monopoly. The manufacturer, Charles River, sells 1000 test bottles for $136. They also are saying that smaller bottles will be available once manufacturing begins again. September sounds correct before CR is caught up on back orders. Attached is the latest update from the manufacturer, Charles River.

Best of luck,
Sarah

Attachments

• Pullorum Availability - 16Apr19.pdf
    80.5 KB · Views: 55
I have an antigen question. Our state Ag agency told us that the reason for the shortage is that the manufacturer stopped making the antigen and a new manufacturer had to be located and then approved. All of the info I am finding shows out of stock Charles River antigen. Who was historically making the antigen?

I have an antigen question. Our state Ag agency told us that the reason for the shortage is that the manufacturer stopped making the antigen and a new manufacturer had to be located and then approved. All of the info I am finding shows out of stock Charles River antigen. Who was historically making the antigen?
You may call the company. They are more than willing to answer questions and put you on the waiting list.

Back
Top Bottom