*Update - Unsuccessful Spay. Anyone have experience with Suprelorin implant and/or spay? Egg yolk pe

kculbert

Songster
10 Years
Jan 13, 2013
Houston, Texas
It was a bad week for chickens here. I noticed that my Australorp, Zelda had her tail down and when I picked her up to examine her, I felt that asites belly. The next day, my English Orpington, Big Fatty had a soft broken egg hanging out of her. Both girls are 2.5 years old. Zelda has never had egg laying issues before but hasn't laid an egg in at least a week. Big Fatty has always had egg laying issues - rubber eggs, dropped eggs, oversized eggs, thin shelled eggs, you name it.

I took both girls to the vet yesterday. Big Fatty looked good (and fat) but given her history we decided to give her the Suprelorin implant. She is my special girl and I don't care if she ever lays an egg again. She is a pet.

Zelda had an ultrasound and had at least three free floating eggs in her abdomen. The drained her and recommended spaying her. They sent me home with Baytril. I know there are options other than surgery to prolong her life. I know I could drain her abdomen and keep her on antibiotics to keep her around a little longer but I am hoping for a more permanent solution.

My husband was less than thrilled with the vet bill ($600) and even more unhappy with the quote for the spay ($700 - which I thought was pretty reasonable). He thinks I am crazy for even considering having a chicken spayed.

I have cried and cried about this. I know that Zelda could have the surgery and not survive. She could get killed by a hawk or come down with one of those mysterious chicken diseases and drop dead the day after surgery. She is so smart and beautiful and there would be a big whole in my life and the flock if she was gone. I am leaning towards the surgery so I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone through a similar experience, good or bad.

Has anyone had a chicken spayed recently and if so, how did it go and how much did it cost? Did it solve the egg peritonitis issue?

Also, and recent experiences with the Suprelorin implant? Were there any side effects? How long did it last? My chicken had the six month one.

Anyone? Scheduled for surgery on Monday and then boarding at vet so I don't have to take her on Memorial Day weekend trip to beach with in-laws who already think I'm weird. I am so nervous and feel like I am making an uneducated and expensive decision. Would love to hear from someone...

Anyone? Scheduled for surgery on Monday and then boarding at vet so I don't have to take her on Memorial Day weekend trip to beach with in-laws who already think I'm weird. I am so nervous and feel like I am making an uneducated and expensive decision. Would love to hear from someone...

I have a situation similar to yours where the spay option was given. Ellie is a 2.5 year old Self-blue Old English bantam hen, and an INDOOR pet. Ellie was VERY for a week and we almost lost her. She laid a shell-less egg (May 6th) and the membrane stayed inside her for 6 days. She was brought to the vet and treated with Clavamox (antibiotic) and Cal-Nate (supplement). During that time, she lost her appetite and refused to either eat or drink. She was put on electrolytes and baby bird formula. She has since made a full recovery but will continue the antibiotics until the 10th day and remain on Cal-Nate for another week. It was also suggested that we install a full spectrum light over her area as vitamin D will help her to absorb calcium. This is the SECOND time that this has happened to Ellie. After the first time (and nearly 600.00), she stayed in the house. After paying that much money, I wasn't keeping her outside!

Better yet, get a blood test as I did for my Ellie to find out WHY she is having these issues. I was told that Ellie is deficient in Phosphorus, Potassium, and Calcium. I was told to get bone meal powder at a health food store and sprinkle it on her food each day. That may help with the egg laying issue and the shell-less, soft shelled, rubber eggs. I also don't care if she ever lays an egg again!

I would be afraid to have a chicken spayed. Very delicate surgery and very high risk of death. I was told that IF I wanted to get the surgery done, I would have to go to Cornell University and have Ellie see an endocrinologist.

Thank you for the info, Luv.

I spoke with the vet and she said I needed to schedule the surgery asap since she already has ascites and a belly full of yolks. She has done this procedure before so I decided to go ahead with the spay. She is going in Monday and will stay at the vet for a week to recover in peace. I feel a huge sense of relief now that I made the decision, no matter what the outcome.

The chicken love of my life is the one who got the implant. It should last around six months and at that time, I will ask my vet about the tests that you had done. I know they drew blood but they were looking for bacteria. She has never laid internally but has always had unusual eggs. She is a large English Orpington and there is a reason her name is Big Fatty. She looks like a gloriously regal turkey walking through the yard so she could never be an indoor chicken. Her toes are almost as big as my fingers and her poop is just downright scary. Lol. I am hoping that keeping her from laying will keep her around for a long time.

I appreciate your response. It's nice to hear from people who really love their chickens.

Zelda was spayed today. It looked like she was going to make it. She was sanding up and even pecking at some food when she went into respiratory distress. They think she suffered a "yolk embolism." I feel very sad but I take comfort in knowing that I did everything I could. I gained valuable experience and know that I will not put another chicken through this surgery.

The chicken with the Suprelorin implant seems to be doing okay and I am praying she stays that way.

So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

What beautiful girls! They look very happy and well cared for...such a good chicken Mom!
We all want the best for our birds and will do our best to keep them happy, healthy, and safe.
You did just that. You deeply care for your little flock and it shows. It is always difficult to lose a bird. It brings tears to my eyes to read some of the stories.
They are such brave little souls.
hugs.gif
Zelda will not be forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom