UPDATE: Which hatchery? (How often do Wyandottes really go broody?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by becstalls, Nov 7, 2010.

1. becstalls

becstalls Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    I don't know if this is the right place for this question or in the breed section, but since it's a behavior question, I went with here. I'm just curious to hear from those of you that have them. I thought I had seen in the breed list back when I got them that they only had average broodiness, but now I see that it says frequent. I don't know if it changed or if I just goofed up [​IMG] . Probably me [​IMG] Also, how old were yours the first time they went broody?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have six Wyandottes that are about a year and a half old...none have gone broody - ever. [​IMG] But I DO love my Wyandottes - and want MORE for the future.

I just got an incubator about two weeks ago - Brinsea will be my "broody."

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine (non hatchery BLRs and SLs) go broody a lot. I think those from a hatchery are probably less likely to go broody.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. becstalls

becstalls Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Thanks! [​IMG] Mine are from a hatchery and I'm curious if I should expect broodiness or not.

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    About 10% of my hatchery glw became broody. Around 25% of my heritage wyandottes became broody. That's this year. The hens know all about murphy's law. The hens that adhere most the SOP were the most determined broodies. [​IMG]

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    mine have never gone broody. i guess they no there is no reason too since i dont have a rooster with them lol

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Won't stop them from going broody! If they decide to go broody they could have golf balls under them and they will still sit! [​IMG]

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    really it's like laying age, you can go by breed, but it's not really ever dependable. in MY experience, they don't usually go broody, but they can. maybe one broody in a lifetime. my wyandottes, IF they go broody, never do for more than once.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have three of them. They're not hatchery birds, but I'm sure the guy I bought them from started with hatchery stock and hasn't tried to breed to the standard--just hatches lots of chicks. Anyhow, mine are 18 months old and none of them have ever been broody.

10. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    My BLR's go broody, one particularly. My DS just lifts her out of the nest box and places her with the flock. Sometimes she goes back, sometimes she forgets. She has been easy to break of the broodiness though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by