*Update with pics on pg 4* Advice on Nest Boxes Please :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WKYChick, Jun 6, 2011.

1. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Just need to finish one side, secure the wire over the vents, create the run and run cover then we are finished! Oh and all the decorations I want to add too! [​IMG]

The is the area we picked to put the coop, we are waiting for the men to come out and reside the shed and garage for us
    [​IMG]

We broke down a 6'x7' and several 6'x5' pallets
    [​IMG]

And ended up with this; we raised the floor using stone blocks
    [​IMG]

The four corner posts go up
    [​IMG]

The roof built separately and waiting for the finishing touches
    [​IMG]

1st window installed; it is not removable it is just to bring in sunlight
    [​IMG]

2nd window installed, DH flipped it long ways, he picked up this odd length window for only $30, it opens for air flow and 1st coat of paint on some of the beams
    [​IMG]

Inside view of the roosting bars
    [​IMG]

Neighbors helped us hoist the roof into place! and we finished all the metal except the front where the door is going to be, pop door ready with steps
    [​IMG]

This is the front view where the door is going to be and where we need to finish the metal framing
    [​IMG]

Window with a view!
    [​IMG]

Back and side view; you can't really see it but we have a good cross ventilation and we left it this way because we are going to add a lean-to cover for shade
    [​IMG]

The only thing left is to finish the paint, put up the wire for the run/secure the vent areas, add nesting boxes and let the hens discover their new home!

Over all it is 6'x7' and 5'+ tall

We got the metal free from a 10x12 shed that got flipped upside down, we had to break it apart and haul it home
    Lumber and pallets all free, we went to a furniture store who had just recently built a new building and had a pile of lumber sitting behind the building and the manager told us to have at it and take all we want [​IMG] and they were just a jog from our house so we didn't use the vehicles to bring the lumber home [​IMG] we looked funny walking home with these 14-16' beams of prime wood and 6x7, 6x5 and 5x5 pallets!

I will post more pics when I get all the little details done and finish the inside too!
    Paint free, left at the house by previous owners, very good exterior paint, stones free left by previous owner as well as a whole roll of tar paper
    1st window, the small one, free someone threw it away
    2nd bigger window we got at our Habitat store for $30, it was going to go into the shed but I liked it so much for air flow for the coop DH stuck on the side there, we are going to go back and get more windows for the shed
    The only thing we had to buy is hardware, we are going to go see if we can get hinges/handles at our Habitat store, they listed a bunch in their free for all pile so we are going to take a peek

I wanted my hens to stay in the coop and run then in the evening let them free range, we have 1/4 acre +/- yard completely fenced in [​IMG]

I want to thank you all on BYC, I learned a lot from all the reading and still reading and learning a lot! You guys are the best!

Oh and this is the project that I was going to do solo but DH said no he was going to help and together; this is the coop the Strong's built [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Nicely done. I love seeing progress pictures. [​IMG]

3. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    Patricia Jane: thank you, this is the first time we have ever attempted to build a coop and I think it is turning out really good, I am excited to get it all done and start working on the run area and securing every thing down. The coop looks a little tilted but it turns out level. The roost bars DH installed seems to need a third bar in the middle and I am going to use deep litter method in the coop.

The way the stones are lined up in front of their door the hens have no problem coming and going.

4. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    It is coming along nicely! And, it's wonderful that your husband insisted you build it together. [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Looking good!! [​IMG]

6. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Looks great! Don't forget to duck your head when you go in there! [​IMG]

7. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    Thank you all for your comments!

Oh my yes! I am 5' even and I have to duck when I go in! I think hubby was measuring from the metal panel lengths [​IMG] I have already beamed myself a couple of times, need to get an alarm to sound off when you get to close to the beams [​IMG]

We are working on the door and then start working on the run

So exciting!

8. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    It looks GREAT!!!!

9. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:looks really nice, congrats, you'll have lots and lots of fun.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Great job, nice... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by