**UPDATE with pics (pg. 4)!!** Rhode Island Red, Hen or Roo? PICS!

POL ...point of lay

i have to RIR roos...they are beefier and have a lot of black tail feathers and hackle feathers....the saddle and hackle feathers are definitely pointed also...

not sure what you have...can you try another pic...a side view close up of tail area so we can see if any saddle feathers....

altho...my boys are not mean but they are not friendly either...hmmm...wonder whatcha got...sorry i was no help...lol

I have 9 RIR pullets that are 18 weeks old and their combs are not HALF the size of the one pictured. Two are at POL and and still not close to that size. I could expect to see that large of a comb on a one year old but at 15 weeks it's comb would be HUGE for a pullet.

15 weeks I say POL pullet. Mine are 16 weeks and have combs/wattles approaching that size (not quite as big), no saddle/hackle feathers or green tail. Only thing that concerns me is that I can't see any tail feathers so there could be a roo tail there coming in and we can't see it.
tongue.png
. Mine have hen butts so far.

Last edited:
Now see why it is so hard to tell????

I too have RIR. I have roo's that I KNOW are roo's. The next group are not for sure's. They have the comb and waddles but not near as large and they too have what I think are hen butts. No big green feathers popping out. Then group three have little bitty combs and hardly any waddles. I KNOW they are hens. We got them all at the same time and they are all the same age. No wonder we are all confused.

I have not posted pic's of my bunch because we have 29 and I really don't want to do that to anyone. But I read everyone of these posts and try to get educated. At some point, if it does not become obvious soon, I will post my most confusing ones.

I wll say that I can see a big difference in rear ends. Is it sickle feathers that roo's have? The big green ones??

Anyway, ya'll keep posting....I am trying to learn as much as I can!
D.gif

I have to say its a pullet.

No shine or pointed neck feathers and they would be of a deeper red color on neck feathers. I do not see any saddle feathers either.

She looks like a production red.

Ok, here are a few more pics. He/she's a runner! So this is as good as it's going to get, I'm afraid. I tried to get some good rear-end shots..hehehe...

54143_002.jpg

54143_004.jpg

54143_007.jpg

54143_009.jpg

Based on that last set of pics, I'm thinking roo, too. Although I still don't see any saddle feathers . . . But it has awful long legs . . .

I need a "sitting on the fence" smiley.

Back
Top Bottom