UPDATE - You guessers were right! Not a Buff Brahma Bantam Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HogbackMtnChickns, Jul 23, 2011.

1. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    This is Ethel. She is 12 weeks old. I thought she was a pullet, BUT she crows! And the darker feathers appearing on her back are glossy. Some of the feathers in her tail are iridescent. She is definitely in charge of our little flock. We have no adult roosters, and she is the oldest and largest of our flock, so is she a hen filling the role, or am I deluding myself? Is she really a he???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Roo, crowing would be the deciding factor here, I can see why you thought he was a she though, seems to be developing a nice set of hackles, won't be long before the saddle starts appearing.

3. HogbackMtnChickns

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Thanks, Spikennipper. That is definitely NOT the answer I was hoping for. I should mention that Ethel's crowing is quite amateur - I am hoping that means she is not a roo, but maybe it just means that he is not yet grown up. Rats. Ethel is supposed to be my broody hen. S/he is very friendly, and so pretty.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a silver laced brahma I thought was a pullet until 14 weeks, still no crow but the saddle feathers give him away, his comb is still pretty small. I say you have a cockeral there ...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    He's a rooster. The comb is redder/bigger then my dark brahma girls who are 20 weeks. When roosters first start crowing, it will sound pretty pathetic at first, but with practice it will get better. [​IMG]

6. Team Fluffy Puffy

Team Fluffy Puffy Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Hale Center
    I would say roo:)

7. HogbackMtnChickns

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    I thought I would post to let you know that you were all correct. [​IMG] for your chicken knowledge! [​IMG] for my broody hen plans.

"Ethel" has a new name: "Fred" and has been rehomed. He is now crowing and running the show at a different flock nearby. He is a very handsome fellow these days.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by