Updated:1 still doing good! Update:Well No BW made it.

Jessika

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Eagle Creek, OR
I hatched out 5 BW quail yesterday and the day before. Today I am down to 2 left breathing...why are they dying? The 2 are running around but I never see them eat or drink. I dunked their beaks in it like you do with chicks. My first quail too. Temp is 99 F in brooder....marbles in water...I just keep finding them dead. I just buried one came in to another one dead. I knew one had an issue when it was born...but that was 1 not 3. There is one large chick and he/she is much bigger...could it be they were just not incubated right?

Last edited:
Other 2 still alive...
big_smile.png

pic deleted in case dead chick in pic offends......
wink.png

Last edited:
Jessika: I see that you did make the feed into quite fine pieces. That is good. If they were mine, I'd forget the feeder and just spread all the feed around on the towel that they are on. Spread it all over.

It's hard to tell in the pic just how high the waterer is. Is it low enough for them to very easily dip their beaks in the water? I would take the marbles out of the water and sprinkle just a tiny bit of feed on the surface of the water. They will see the movement of the feed on the water and pick at it, and discover that the water tastes good. Make sure that there is just about 1/8 inch of water in the dish. No more than that. I think that the colors of the marbles might be confusing them.

One other thing, is that I'd reduce the size of their pen. They don't need nearly that much room, and they likely are running to the corners and trying to hide. If they have less room, they might find the feed and water easier.

I have raised hundreds of BW quail, and they are touchy at first, but after they learn to eat and drink they are pretty tough.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have other questions. Good luck!

jhm47: Thank you! I put them in a smaller container and took out the marbles. I also gave them a smaller water container but the ran right into it and were quite wet and worn out for awhile. But both are still kicking!

pips&peeps: what type of chick starter?

Down to one....I know how they died now. It's so sad and I feel so bad.....they broke their necks. Even in the small shoe box sized container.

What do I do to keep the last one alive?

I wish I knew....the one left is in a 4 inch by 4 inch box now all by it self. I feel so bad...I mean things happen...but I know it was my error since all but 1 have so far broken their necks. No more BW babies for me for awhile. I got all 5 eggs through my first ever incubating and then 4 break their necks. I thought the incubating was going to be the hard part...not the raising.

1 still doing awesome! It is so cute! Wish me luck with it!

I'm not so sure what happened to the other ones still....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom