*UPDATED* 99% FINISHED! Building our 10' x 8' coop!

aggieterpkatie

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Maryland
We started building our coop on Sunday! Both my dad and my hubby's dad helped! We're lucky to have great dads that wanted to spend fathers' day working!
big_smile.png

I based the design off of this plan from the University of Tennessee Cooperative Extension plan. We decided on 10' wide by 8' deep. The front of the coop is 8' tall and the back is 6' tall. It looks HUGE right now, but I didn't want to have to bend over to walk in it. Plus, we might be able to put a shelf on the front wall for storage (like extra waterers, etc.)

Here is the start of the floor:
3654109170_54f6ac145c.jpg

Here are the walls going up:
3654109460_6009fe0cbc.jpg

Here is the roof being framed:
3653313379_ae7464a428.jpg

I'll update with more pictures later. We're about done with the sheathing on the walls. We're using OSB for the exterior walls, which I know it's not meant for, but we've used it before and it's held up well after painting. I painted the coop last night...a very pale buttery cream kinda color to match the house. There will be two windows in the front, and I moved the door to the side instead of the front. The trim will be painted white.

I think I'd like to use rat wire in the windows, and a plexi-glass insert for cold weather. I guess I'll have to paint the inside to keep the OSB protected if the windows are open.

I'll post more info and pics as we make progress!

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
I love your coop so far; you sure do have some great help! Please post your finished coop; I can't wait to see it!

Quote:
I think it's just the height that threw me off, plus it's on blocks which adds to it.
wink.png
I wish the floor space was actually bigger, but we're trying to keep in fairly inexpensive. I think materials were under $450 for everything.

Well, it's 95% finished! The chickens/turkeys are in it now. I just have to add some decorative trim and build the nesting boxes!

Here's the front view. Doesn't it look like a face?
tongue.png
I also need to get my permanent fence up because the chickens laugh at the temporary plastic stuff!
3703619113_63415b7e1d.jpg

3703664785_17db0d5520.jpg

Here's the door for the chickens to go outside.
3704427052_880f3cc304.jpg

Here are the roosts. We cut down Mulberry saplings to use because they were free!
3704426804_edac6548fc.jpg

Here is the back wall where the nesting boxes will go. I might also add a window!
3704427404_c0f48bb8e5.jpg

Here is the front wall looking outside!
3703665085_cd6555fd53.jpg

I painted the floor and a few inches up the walls to help protect the flooring.

So far the chickens like it!
wink.png
I almost wish it was bigger!!
lol.png

Looks good. That is a very simple design and the same as our original 8x8 coop. I can't tell, but up in the eaves, are all those openings walled off with hardware cloth, too? If not, you'll want to fill those in with wood or wire since some predators can climb.

Back
Top Bottom