[updated] APPROXIMATE Cost of building an 8x12 shed or buying one

I just priced building my 8x12 shed, spread sheet and everything, and materials came in around $1000 (T1-11 siding, asphalt shingles, 2x6 floor joists and rafters). Doesn't count the windows I bought off Craigslist or miscellaneous "oops I forgot that" items.

For anyone buying materials from Lowes, they actually have a deal right now - if you purchase a gift card (they are calling them Tax Refund cards) before March 14th, they will credit the card with 10% of the purchase price on March 18th (I'm not a Lowes employee, just found this out when I was shopping there this weekend). Card amounts can be anything from $500-$4000. So if you know you're going to be spending a chunk there, it's worth the purchase! I prepaid for $500 and will get $550 to spend!!

Are you going to use the shed exclusively for the chickens? We are looking in to this option because we are going to put up a shed for storage of riding mower, gocart and rabbits and was thinking of buying a large enough one to section off an area for the chickens with access to out side? Our other option is to build a separate shed and chicken coop. What do you think? I am thinking the chickens should be separate because of the mess.

Thanks

We built a 10x10 from a precut shed kit from Home Depot a couple of years ago. Got the shed on sale for $700, but it still ended up being close to $1000 after we were finished. Additional materials included concrete blocks, floor boards and floor covering (we used tiles) roofing shingles and paint. And we built our own nestboxes. The shed has held up well, but I will say that in the premades you find that they provide 'cheaper' cuts (like a 2x3 rather than a 2x4). We had a slight issue with the roof trusses not fitting correctly, but since my husband has some carpentry experience, he was able to figure out how to modify it to make it work. It certainly took less time to construct than if we'd have had to cut everything.

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

Last edited:
I just thought I would mention that there are some other avenues as well. (I'm in the building process and BYC has offered me TONS of suggestions). Some suggestions that have been passed along my way are: check local stores for pallets - they are usually free and can be used to make nesting boxes/roosts, etc... There's a great link (somewhere on here, sorry I don't know how to do that yet) about using milk crates for nesting boxes as well. Also, if you have a global shipper - like Allied movers - you can sometimes get their used shipping crates and while some disassembly would be needed, there's a lot of wood in it. Check craig's list for their freebies!! Sometimes people just discard their left over building materials...construction sites are also a good scavenger place (if you have any of that nearby). Last but not least...if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore nearby, go check them out. You can get building materials at a discounted price while helping their cause. Our 10' x 20' coop was slated to cost approximately $1000 (just in boards...hardware cloth not included)...from all the freebies and discounts, we've managed to price things out to about $250!! If you don't mind the leg work...it can certainly pay off!! Good luck!!

You might also check with local sawmills in your area- they're a great place to find dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x8, trim, etc) very inexpensively. They won't have plywood but you can pick up most of your other lumber needs from them. Sometimes stores like Lowe's and Home Depot have a bargain section where you can get deep discounts on stuff such as plywood which might have a chipped edge or flooring or roofing shingles. Check with a local window replacement company and see if they have (or will have) any replaced windows- most homeowners don't want them and the company has to pay to dispose of them so they will often give them away or sell them very cheaply. Now that it's tax refund time alot of these companys are getting extra work from people upgrading with their tax refunds. Also check your local trader papers for good deals, or even post an ad (usually free) asking for what you want. I've even found doors and windows at goodwill. The Yahoo group freecycle is another good source. Good luck with your building project and enjoy your chickens!

I agree. I found my shed on craigslist too, and then just built it the way I wanted. Also look in the local classifieds. Here is the before and after pics...
Quote:
I paid 500.00 for this 8x 10, and then 125. to move it with a wrecking service. It was 25 miles from my place.
76406_run_finished_003.jpg
76406_almost_donelol.jpg
76406_new_vent_windows_001.jpg
I have since last pic, put in vent, wired wimdows on east and west side from opposite cros ventilation too........

Last edited:
This shed built by a handyman for around $1000, including moving it twice and then anchoring it into concrete, and a few tweaking things like making the door super heavy duty (we have boys and visiting large dogs), and insulating it later (for sound barrier), and making a little hoop run, and the City Code permit. The interior is 6ftX6ft. All construction materials purchased new, but the little window was on sale.

25976_p020211_1235_01.jpg

We have it insulated, because our roosters crow and we wanted to muffle the sound a bit for our neighbor's peaceful mornings. Once or twice a year, we get a monsoon type storm with winds that blow trees down and roofs off. This little shed is super sturdy. Maybe that's something to consider for your needs, maybe not. It gave us peace of mind knowing our chicken housing probably wouldn't blow apart or fall over, and the racoons and foxes can't break into it or tear/chew the walls away from the boards.

I know others have built for FAR less money! From these postings, though, it seems around $1000 is pretty average, for the completed coop and run.

25976_06232010766.jpg

This is the leftover puppy whelping box they lived in until the coop was completed. It was made of salvaged and recycled materials for free, except about $100 in rabbit wire and posts:
25976_mommys_phone_254.jpg

I wish you good luck and fun chicken-keeping!
jumpy.gif

Well I got a heck of a deal.....

Home Depot had an old shed that had been sitting on the shelf forever. I ended up buying it, not know what I was getting. It was supposed to be a 10X12 shed but again, not knowing we built a 10x10. It cost $100 for the kit, and then with the extra supplies to finish it, and things that were missing another $100. We also found discontinued shingles that were really reduced. Thankfully I have a handy husband...The only problem is that we used the boards that came with it for the floor, and it has rotted, so I will be redoing the floor this summer.

ETA: It is the same type of shed as Greyhorsewoman's.

Last edited:
Used sheds can be a great deal, if you can find someone to move them. My dad bought a barely used well built shed for about $500 that is about 8x12. The wrecker service only charged $50 to move it. 5 years later (just a few weeks ago) Dad decided we needed the shed and called the wrecker company to move it. Unfortunately some new ordinances had been passed and wreckers were no longer legally allowed to tansport sheds. The only folks allowed to transport sheds are pretty much just the shed owners now and they have to have special permits. Cost to move the shed to our property - a total of 12 miles? $650. If the shed had not been free from my parents I could have built a new one for the cost of the used plus moving.

Moral of the story: Call a wrecker first and ask if they can move sheds before you commit to an older one. Or buy 2 small sheds you can transport on the back of a friends trailer and then join them together at home for a large shed.

We still need another shed to create our coop and it looks like we will be building from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom