UPDATED: Bantam cockerel struggling to breath, large comb??

Aug 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I noticed yesterday that my little cockerel had what looked like discharge around his nostril but was actually just off coloured skin. Then tonight I did my check on them and decided to take a good look at him only to discover his other nostril no longer has an opening.. it wasn’t the biggest opening yesterday but now there’s basically nothing he can breath through. I did notice some clear wet discharge tonight around his nostrils and he had some bedding stuck to the other side. When he gets worked up and moving (flapping his wings for a few seconds) he starts to use his mouth to assist in breathing.

I’m unsure if this is to do with his comb being so large or him maybe having an upper respiratory infection?? I added some photos to show the difference between his left nostril (first photo was from he 24th, second 25th) Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 9D781D79-7E96-4AE9-B613-4215A81CB3AC.jpeg
    9D781D79-7E96-4AE9-B613-4215A81CB3AC.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 12
  • 1EC46E3C-615B-4076-BFB1-4BDAFE9C62CF.jpeg
    1EC46E3C-615B-4076-BFB1-4BDAFE9C62CF.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 10
  • E5DE2ED2-15B0-40D1-8854-C4A094C27CF6.jpeg
    E5DE2ED2-15B0-40D1-8854-C4A094C27CF6.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 10
He doesn’t seem to have his beak open to breathe. I cannot see any dried nasal secretions. If you notice more secretions, keep them cleaned with saline. Sometimes you can use a drop of hydrogen peroxide with a QTip to loosen any crusted over nostrils.

He doesn’t seem to have his beak open to breathe. I cannot see any dried nasal secretions. If you notice more secretions, keep them cleaned with saline. Sometimes you can use a drop of hydrogen peroxide with a QTip to loosen any crusted over nostrils.
There hasn’t been any crusty discharge it’s only just started whatever this is.. his nose secretes clear dishcharge but nothing excessive. He does breath through his mouth on and off, usually when he is active or sleeping and can’t get enough oxygen on the inhale so he open his mouth to get air but closes it during exhaling.

I was thinking of having someone take him to a vet tomorrow as I am working all day and would not make it there during office hours :barnie he’s the only one with an issue..

Got the little man to a vet this morning. They said he’s has no underlying issues it’s just that his comb is so large it’s compressing his nasal cavity and obstructing airways. Surgery is an option if I was wanting to try that to remove part of the comb (maybe all of it?). The issue with that is the fact the vet said he might not make it through the anesthesia.. I feel like it’s only going to get worse because as the comb has grown it’s also grown into this much of a problem for him....gravity will only bring it down farther won’t it :barnie

I have decided tentatively that since it is the type of problem that won’t go away, and it affects him so much, I’ll go through with the removal . BUT I’m trying to find an alternative to the anesthesia so that’s no longer a risk. I had someone talking to me about sedation and then a local numbing for the comb? Would that work? Thank you guys so much!! I’m getting a call back from the vet tomorrow to discuss his options..

What exactly were they going to do if you have the vet do surgery? Are they going to dub his comb? I am not an expert on dubbing combs, but many people do that to certain breeds of roosters to show them. It is not done with anesthesia, but with a technique that is quick and safe. If that is what the vet is going to do, you can look at some information online about dubbing combs. I would never put a chicken under anesthesia since some do not survive. A vet could dub the comb and cauterize it so that it does not bleed. You could even start a new thread for some help on that.

Back
Top Bottom