UPDATED Look What the last storm blew in

Oh that leg is not looking good. Sorry to say, I did wildlife calls for a few years and regardless of if she is native or not I think she might be best put to sleep. That leg will not recover, it shows it's not got circulation, and a bad infection.

I'm so sorry, but so glad your showing her kindness. Have her to the Vet and see what they say. Pictures don't show everything.

I totally understand what some of you said about sparrows and them not being a Native bird here in the States.

As for the Wildlife Center vet he is a local vet that also cares for other animals and I do know him so he asked me to bring the bird into him up at the Wildlife Center. They normally do not take in sparrows if they are to full. BUT, right now they had the room for her. Like the Wildlife Center supervisior told me the sparrows did not hold guns to the ship's captain and force the captian to bring them over here that was our doing as humans. So we should care for it if we can because it is something that we did by bringing it over it is not the sparrows fault.

Anyways, the poor thing was a cat caught like I thought after looking at her leg better. It is an older injury but the infection has gone up into her hip so they did have to euthanize her. Which is what I supected they would have to do as the injury was very bad.
sad.png
I just thought I would post since some of you asked for updates.

Now, I have to do a search on this device called "Coyote Roller" the Wildlife Center told me about it. It is to help stop all the cats in the neighborhood from comming into my yard and feasting on my poor birds
barnie.gif
! They told me my DH could make it easily! They also said it will work for any type of critter that climbs over fences.....
smile.png

very true, those birds were originally imported -- if I have the story right -- because someone wanted to have, on his property, all the birds mentioned in a classic novel he enjoyed

he had NO idea that the sparrows would displace other birds he enjoyed

my wish is that we could develop some way of slowing down their reproduction ... get things back into a better balance, instead of driving so many native birds onto Endangered lists

it is unfortunate that sparrows will take over nests of other birds, will shove the other eggs right out and defend the site

I help in a conservation group, targeted at purple martins in this area, and we are always having to kick sparrows out of the martin houses ... until the martins go broody ...

Sweet of you to try and save that little bird. Sorry it didn't work out. Years ago when my son was little, and after a bad storm, he came running up to me with his little hands together with a baby bird (a little sparrow like yours) he had found on the ground. We named it Sir-Chirps-Alot...but he only lived two days because I gave it water and apparently that was a bad thing. It's apparently not easy to nurse wild birds back to health. You did good by trying though
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom