Updated pic: 10 week old RIR

EllyMac

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2019
0FFBC3B9-FC44-48D2-AC8D-BEDA057CB9D6.jpeg
So I posted a few weeks ago and I wanted updated opinions about my supposed to be pullet Rhode Island Red. What do y’all think? Pullet or cockerel? I will say we have one buff Orpington roo (was supposed to be all pullets) that is clearly dominant. Can’t wait to hear y’all a thoughts!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but apparently the 'supposed to be pullet' is most likely a cockerel. The saddle feathers and tail feathers are droopy and the comb is prominent.

Good luck.

But no worries, if you live in 'suburbs' and you are not allowed to be keep roosters or you already have enough roosters and you don't want to be overrun by a gang of rambunctious cockerels then you can have him caponized. It will make the bird mellow and it's meat will taste succulent and feel tender like mother's love. I always caponize my extra cockerels. My family hate roosters for dinner and call it a 'sad meal'. RIR cockerels make great capons and are easier to caponize than other breeds. Here is one of mine.
CHAPON.jpg

I think pullet. All my rir pullets had combs and wattles early, and sometimes sit funny making their tails look more like yours. I was literally convinced they were male till they all started laying eggs. However I am still new at this and could be wrong.

Attachments

• 332E8846-6E72-4C14-AE27-5F289D00A701.jpeg
    332E8846-6E72-4C14-AE27-5F289D00A701.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 40
  • CBBFF10A-1425-452D-BDC9-57DAA83C43EF.jpeg
    CBBFF10A-1425-452D-BDC9-57DAA83C43EF.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 44
I think pullet. All my rir pullets had combs and wattles early, and sometimes sit funny making their tails look more like yours. I was literally convinced they were male till they all started laying eggs. However I am still new at this and could be wrong.

I love it when 'supposedly cockerels' turn into pullets. In my almost a decade of chicken keeping I have been fooled a number of times by my birds. However if you look carefully you will not fail to note the difference between your pullets tail and back feathers and that of the bird in question. You will also see that EllyMac's bird have some thick legs.

Back
Top Bottom