Updated pics and question

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
So the babies are 3 weeks old today. I'm starting to think they may be chocolate barred but hard to say since they are just getting feathers but their tail feathers look brown not black.
idunno.gif
My question follows the pics.

We had very bad storms overnight and it rained alot so its wet out. Now, we are getting snow flurries. Its 34 degrees out but feels like 24 with the wind chill. I needed to clean out their brooder so she took them out again. They were playing in the puddles so I herded them back inside and blocked off half of the coop so she can't take them out.

Since I've never had ducklings with cold winters, will mom take them in when it's too cold? Or should I just put them inside when its too cold or wet out?
Thanks

I am too. I actually have been out several times even though mom was blocked from leaving. I did find 4 of the ducklings outside after they squeezed through the fencing.
roll.png
Luckily, now that the geese are no longer with us and the other ducks and the chickens could care less about them they were fine.

Shew. I had the eleven ducklings in 2010, now nine are still with us and we have adopted adults since then. My heart melts when I see or hear and duckling, and we don't have the infrastructure set up any more. But something tells me to keep the brooder materials (feeder, waterers) and think about how I would do it better next time. I like 70%cocoa's use of a rabbit hutch with a towel on the bottom and a pan underneath. I also don't know that I would ever try brooding eleven babies again. It was a great experience. Changed my life.

Back
Top Bottom