Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains Graphic Necropsy Photos

Pics
Me too.
sad.png

Boy I read a lot about hawks, but not hardly anything about falcons. Have you had problems with them before?
They usually go after chicks and small birds, but every now and then they try for a big one.

-Kathy

That must be frustrating having to deal with predators like that.
I don't want to sound cold, insensitive or uncaring, but it doesn't bother me too much if they get the chicken chicks, but the peachicks have to be in a hawk/falcon proof enclosure.

-Kathy

I don't want to sound cold, insensitive or uncaring, but it doesn't bother me too much if they get the chicken chicks, but the peachicks have to be in a hawk/falcon proof enclosure.
-Kathy

No, its not insensitive. It sounds like you have a lot of those birds anyway, sometime having one less helps. Lot of work even though you still try to save every last one. :) It is all part of natures cycle.

Last edited:
I can do a necropsy on a chicken body. I never really know what I am looking for....... but I will be following this educational thread.

I just CAN'T do an eggtopsy though. Somehow looking a peeps that died during development gags me.

We were having eggs tonight and I had 2 of my little bantam eggs and I was holding the yolks to see if I thought they were fertile (my d'uccle just started laying a few weeks ago) and I am just curious. I think they may have been, but my husband said if I didn't quit he wasn't going to want to eat. lol! He won't eat my eggs, only store eggs. We rarely have eggs anyhow.

I can do a necropsy on a chicken body. I never really know what I am looking for....... but I will be following this educational thread.

I just CAN'T do an eggtopsy though. Somehow looking a peeps that died during development gags me.
I used to feel the same way, but doing them has taught me how to spot malpostions, shrink-wrapping and other problems, which is so useful when peafowl only lay a limited number of eggs from May through October.

If you're brave, this is a great thread, but it is *very* graphic.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...pened-to-my-egg-graphic-pictures#post_4407757

-Kathy

We were having eggs tonight and I had 2 of my little bantam eggs and I was holding the yolks to see if I thought they were fertile (my d'uccle just started laying a few weeks ago) and I am just curious. I think they may have been, but my husband said if I didn't quit he wasn't going to want to eat. lol! He won't eat my eggs, only store eggs. We rarely have eggs anyhow.
I've accidentally gone to cook with an incubated egg, sort of bothers me, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom