Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains Graphic Necropsy Photos

Pics
Here's a picture of the mass cut in half, appears to be mostly blood. The quarter is for size comparison..
Now that i'm on the PC this tissue looks a bit like lung tissue in it's colour. Could it be a lung tumour of some sort that finally heamorrhaged?
The liver you said was OK but it looks an odd colour to me - quite yellow/green colour.

Yes I agree about the hole in the crop, and I may have ruptured it prematurely when I was massaging it. But I also believe that was a result of her digestive system shutting down and not letting the contents to pass into the gizzard. I believe that was secondary to the large ball. I usually don't put a lot of stock in the color of the liver unless it's black or very yellow, I have butchered hundreds of healthy birds and it's very common to see different shades of brown in healthy birds. This particular case, I would expect a certain degree of off color due to the distress on her entire digestive system. The extremely small gizzard is more of an issue with me than the color of the liver. I tend to think that she may have been born with this problem and the gizzard was not growing properly because of the lack of space in her abdomen and pressure from that ball. The ball was located well back of her lungs, it was attached right next to her ovary which would explain, to me anyway, why she never laid any eggs. I'm still interested in hearing more suggestions from anyone who may have other ideas.

This is fantastic, it's like, what came first, the chicken or the egg! LOL My thoughts are that the giant purple ball was the first problem which caused other secondary problems.
BTW, did anyone notice the crazy quarter I used in the one picture? LOL

I'm a little slow, lol.. what's special about the quarter? I tried to find one like, but couldn't.

-Kathy

I've been thinking ; you said that this mass was attached in the egg sac area and attached to the backbone. That isn't "well back" from the lungs at all. It could well be lung tissue.

I'm a little slow, lol.. what's special about the quarter? I tried to find one like, but couldn't.

-Kathy

Go to the post where I first posted the picture of the mass cut in half, or to the pictures that I sent you, click on the picture and zoom in on the quarter in the picture. it's a high Def pic that should allow you to get a closeup look at the quarter. lol

I've been thinking ; you said that this mass was attached in the egg sac area and attached to the backbone. That isn't "well back" from the lungs at all. It could well be lung tissue.

Look at the diagram you posted , from front of bird to back of bird along the backbone it goes; lungs, ovaries, kidneys, in a real bird there is an area of about 2 inches between the lungs and the kidneys, the ball was attached in the kidney area, behind the ovaries, so yes that is "well back " of the lungs. I believe the big ball, in fact, is the kidney. When I performed the necropsy, it was late, I hadn't eaten dinner, and I was tired, so I didn't spend a lot of time checking each and every single organ. The ball was attached to the backbone where the kidney was supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom