MrsAuberry00

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
*UPDATED WITH PHOTOS AND INFORMATION*

UPDATE AT BOTTOM

I have a hen who is approximately one and a half years old. I noticed yesterday evening she appeared very puffy...like chickens do when fluffing up to keep warm, however, this looks odd. She showed no interest in the treats I was hand feeding each hen and was not eating, but it was near dark, so I wasn't too alarmed. This morning when I was cleaning the coop, she was sitting in one of the nesting boxes backwards, still puffed to the point it just looked like a head sticking out of a ball of feathers. I wasn't able to feel anything unusual on her, although she didn't appreciate any pressure put on her sides and belly. She finally came out of the coop, appeared to be walking normally, but just stood in the run, her eyes closing and opening slowly as though she was sleepy. She did not eat or drink as the others did.

1. I feed them DuMOR 16% Layer Pellets with grit mixed in. They also have oyster shell available in a separate container.
2. Her droppings appear normal.
3. She last layed yesterday morning.
4. The temperatures have been in the 40s to mid-30s the past few days.

I don't know what else to add, so I'll give the answers to any other information that may be needed as I can.

UPDATE: She was drinking and eating a little earlier this evening. However, she had diarrhea while I was observing. It was a whitish/clear mix and I did see she had a bit on her feathers. I'm going to go out in a bit to make sure she's roosting and not laying in one of the nesting boxes. I really hope this is nothing as I lost two of my girls to predators about 12 hours apart almost six weeks ago. I don't want to lose another one.

SECOND UPDATE: I've attached photos. I examined her this morning and her crop is empty. I did not feel any unusual fullness or lumps in her belly or near the vent. She continues to have loose stools. While examining her, she stretched her neck out and actually appeared to look normal, but as soon as I'd finished, she went right back into this hunched/puffed position. I do not notice anything abnormal about her gait, she's just not that active still. I've added Rooster Booster Vitamins and Electrolytes with Lactobacillus to her water, and I have seen her taking drinks.

Attachments

• IMG_20181224_074426.jpg
    IMG_20181224_074426.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20181224_074432.jpg
    IMG_20181224_074432.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20181224_074613.jpg
    IMG_20181224_074613.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20181224_074558.jpg
    IMG_20181224_074558.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
It is not a good idea to add anything to their feed and certainly not grit. It should be supplied in a separate dish for the birds to ingest as and when they need it. They will take what they need when they need it and it will only be a tiny amount By adding it to their feeder, they may be getting more than they need which can cause problems. The gizzard where they use the grit is a small muscular pouch with quite a large inlet and a relatively small outlet. Once stones get worn down into very small particles in the gizzard by the grinding action, they pass out of the gizzard and are eventually eliminated from the body in poop. if too much grit is taken in, it can fill up the gizzard and reduce the amount of space in there for food, thus slowing the flow of nutrients through the body. The gizzard should be able to grind them down with food until they can be passed but it can cause the bird to lose condition whilst that is happening.
At 1.5 years old, this birds should be ready to moult if she hasn't done so yet. Moulting can make them feel pretty under the weather. It also usually brings to an end their laying cycle and occasionally it will cause them to lay a soft shelled or shell less egg at this time. That can be very hard for their system to pass and takes a lot out of them, so it may be that she has this going on. You might try giving her a human calcium supplement or even a tums indigestion tablet as a direct calcium boost. They will usually eat it crumbled over some scrambled egg or bread soaked in weak gravy. Not something I would recommend as a treat but a means to an end to get them to eat something when needed. She may also benefit from a warm Epsom salts bath soak and blow dry. Many hens enjoy it once they get over the panic of being lowered into water but don't persevere and stress her unduly if she is not happy. Make sure she is thoroughly dried afterwards and perhaps do an internal exam with your finger whilst she is soaking to ease her vent and help her to pass it if there is something there. She may poop whilst doing this and whilst a bit gross for you, it will often give them some relief.
Good luck

Keep an eye on her droppings, and I would probably give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench while you have her under observation to figure out why she is lethargic and inactive. Check her crop early in the morning when it should be empty, to see if it is full, firm, soft, or puffy. Look her over for signs of lice or mites under her vent and elsewhere. Feel her lower belly for any unusual fullness, tightness, or enlargement.

Keep an eye on her droppings, and I would probably give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench while you have her under observation to figure out why she is lethargic and inactive. Check her crop early in the morning when it should be empty, to see if it is full, firm, soft, or puffy. Look her over for signs of lice or mites under her vent and elsewhere. Feel her lower belly for any unusual fullness, tightness, or enlargement.

Done. See my update for the information. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom