[Updated: Wasn't a Fox, but a possum. ]

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CoffeeCow, Jun 4, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I woke up this morning, and started on my normal routine, Get up, Start coffee, Check on my new chicks (they are 2 weeks old), Go outside and check on the garden, Go feed the ducks.....

When I got near the run, I noticed that I only had 2 ducks waiting on me... there are supposed to be 4 there. We have a white pond duck (we have had him for about 3 years) and we HAD three wild ducks that we rescued from a hit and run on their mom. I thought well, maybe they flew off... but the way I have the fence, that would be very unlikely. (It curves in at the top) So I go in the run and see a wing laying on the ground [​IMG] I thought I had done a good job in making the run... I buried Chicken wire about 2 feet and curved it under so nothing could dig under. So I start looking for what/how this thing got in.

My coop/run is in an old barn, the previous owner used about 500lb of concrete on each post.. so I couldn't get the chicken wire all the way to the posts. To solve this, I took some cinder blocks and stood them next to the post and the wire went behind them just a little. Well, the fox actually chewed through the wire and pushed his way in.... He got 2 of the baby ducks. They were about 5 weeks old, and almost ready to fly off...

Looks like I need to start over, and bury something a bit tougher than chicken wire.

On the plus side, I am glad that this happened when my "foster ducks" were in there, I would have been crushed if that darn fox had gotten my chicks.

I guess the moral of the story here is: DO NOT TRUST CHICKEN WIRE TO KEEP OUT PREDATORS !!
    [​IMG]

[UPDATE] wasn't a fox, but this little guy... He got another duck last night... I guess he climbed the 8' fence. I guess I am going to have to build their run out of steel and concrete... and perhaps set up armed guards.

Have mercy on his soul.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Oh, I'm so sorry what happened to your ducks.

My father-in-law is building my chicken coop. I got materials ready what he asked me to get it.
    But I only got chicken wires in hand.
    I have to go buy heavier than chicken wires NOW!

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet... Here is an older pic of how I have it done currently. Luckily, this duck made it.

[​IMG]

The problem I have is that the posts have a ton of concrete around them, so I cant get up next to them very well. I am thinking that I may put cinder blocks all the way around the bottom. Luckily, I have a ton of them here.

Here is a pic of the run. again, its older,I have re-done the fencesince this pic was taken, it is now about 8' tall and angles inwards at the top. I will try to get some newer ones (with the chewed hole) after I get back from lowes.

[​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Truer words cannot be spoken! I'm sorry for your losses.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes I really wish they would re-name that stuff cause it is not predator proof at all. So sorry. [​IMG]

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Home depot and Lowe's have 2' long metal zip strips in the zip tie section. You can daisy chain 2 together for a longer length.

You can use these to secure hardware cloth to the posts- which will be the only thing that will prevent a returning fox who has had success in that location...and they bring friends for some time after they have had dinner at a location. They are persistent.

7. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Use the Force, Luke...

Buy an electric fence charger and some fence wire. It's a curious habit most critters have of exploring with their noses. Fortunately for us humans trying to keep said critters out, noses are usually soft and tender.

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I would find a way to get the area protected by electric fence. It can be used inside as well as outside. Just need to use grounding wire(s) indoors.

9. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Thanks for all the ideas!
    Unfortunately, it started storming here, so I can't do anything to secure it till' tomorrow... Looks like I will be camping out with my .22 tonight =/

10. Debob

Debob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    A 22 is a good answer to the problem,thing is are you going to be there 24-7. Go with the electric wire,you will at least be able tp sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by