[Updated: Wasn't a Fox, but a possum. ]

CoffeeCow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Washington, NC
I woke up this morning, and started on my normal routine, Get up, Start coffee, Check on my new chicks (they are 2 weeks old), Go outside and check on the garden, Go feed the ducks.....

When I got near the run, I noticed that I only had 2 ducks waiting on me... there are supposed to be 4 there. We have a white pond duck (we have had him for about 3 years) and we HAD three wild ducks that we rescued from a hit and run on their mom. I thought well, maybe they flew off... but the way I have the fence, that would be very unlikely. (It curves in at the top) So I go in the run and see a wing laying on the ground
sad.png
I thought I had done a good job in making the run... I buried Chicken wire about 2 feet and curved it under so nothing could dig under. So I start looking for what/how this thing got in.

My coop/run is in an old barn, the previous owner used about 500lb of concrete on each post.. so I couldn't get the chicken wire all the way to the posts. To solve this, I took some cinder blocks and stood them next to the post and the wire went behind them just a little. Well, the fox actually chewed through the wire and pushed his way in.... He got 2 of the baby ducks. They were about 5 weeks old, and almost ready to fly off...

Looks like I need to start over, and bury something a bit tougher than chicken wire.

On the plus side, I am glad that this happened when my "foster ducks" were in there, I would have been crushed if that darn fox had gotten my chicks.

I guess the moral of the story here is: DO NOT TRUST CHICKEN WIRE TO KEEP OUT PREDATORS !!
hit.gif

[UPDATE] wasn't a fox, but this little guy... He got another duck last night... I guess he climbed the 8' fence. I guess I am going to have to build their run out of steel and concrete... and perhaps set up armed guards.

Have mercy on his soul.

55864_possum.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so sorry what happened to your ducks.

My father-in-law is building my chicken coop. I got materials ready what he asked me to get it.
But I only got chicken wires in hand.
I have to go buy heavier than chicken wires NOW!

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet... Here is an older pic of how I have it done currently. Luckily, this duck made it.

55864_colorado_013_800x600.jpg

The problem I have is that the posts have a ton of concrete around them, so I cant get up next to them very well. I am thinking that I may put cinder blocks all the way around the bottom. Luckily, I have a ton of them here.

Here is a pic of the run. again, its older,I have re-done the fencesince this pic was taken, it is now about 8' tall and angles inwards at the top. I will try to get some newer ones (with the chewed hole) after I get back from lowes.

55864_colorado_018_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Home depot and Lowe's have 2' long metal zip strips in the zip tie section. You can daisy chain 2 together for a longer length.

You can use these to secure hardware cloth to the posts- which will be the only thing that will prevent a returning fox who has had success in that location...and they bring friends for some time after they have had dinner at a location. They are persistent.

Use the Force, Luke...

Buy an electric fence charger and some fence wire. It's a curious habit most critters have of exploring with their noses. Fortunately for us humans trying to keep said critters out, noses are usually soft and tender.

Last edited:
I would find a way to get the area protected by electric fence. It can be used inside as well as outside. Just need to use grounding wire(s) indoors.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas!
Unfortunately, it started storming here, so I can't do anything to secure it till' tomorrow... Looks like I will be camping out with my .22 tonight =/

A 22 is a good answer to the problem,thing is are you going to be there 24-7. Go with the electric wire,you will at least be able tp sleep.

Back
Top Bottom