UPDATED WITH PHOTO: Can one chicken lay two different colored eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChesapeakeBorn, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ChesapeakeBorn

ChesapeakeBorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I have two barred mixed breed hens and 1 silkie rooster. We were told the silkie was female when we got her as a pullet, but then she started crowing and hasn't stopped, so we assumed she was a he.

But today I found 3 very different colored eggs! One light brown, one greenish-gray, and one small dark brown. Could the first two have come from the same hen or do I actually have 3 hens?!

ETA: Since I seemed to have stumped everyone, I have updated with a photo. Quiz of the day: How many hens layed these eggs?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. ChesapeakeBorn

Apr 19, 2011
    Bump!

After cracking them open, we found that the inside of the shells and the thickness of the shells were different too!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do you collect eggs every day? Twice a day? For whatever internal reason, a pullet/hen can indeed lay an egg out of the ordinary for her. Diet? Plumbing issue? Paint booth malfunction?

This sorts itself out in time. Don't note the exception, but take note of what "normally" is laid.

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    it is not uncommon for the dominate hen to crow if there is no male around.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes, your silkie is a hen. We used to have a crowing hen too- we sent her back to the farm we got her from. It's not all to uncommon.

6. 3 hens. We can tell who has laid what egg at least 95% of the time because we've caught them and we know who is laying what colored egg. Congratulations! [​IMG]

7. ChesapeakeBorn

Apr 19, 2011
    Lol! She sure does sound like a he every morning at 6:45! I swear, this silkie just gets more and more entertaining. Favorite breed ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by