Updated with Very Graphic Pictures! - Blackhead Five Miles from My Place

Kathy one more question : how is the poop looks like when they got the blackhead ? My white peacock pooped a white slimy poop ,is this a sign of it ??

Kathy one more question : how is the poop looks like when they got the blackhead ? My white peacock pooped a white slimy poop ,is this a sign of it ??
The best way to tell is to bring them inside on hardwood or tile floors and follow them around to see what *all* of their poops look like. Slimy white poop is not one of the colors I have seen in birds with blackhead, but I have seen a very pale yellow, which might look white. All white poop could be a sign of dehydration.

-Kathy

Adult dosage for the wormer is 3cc per gal of water. How much for peachicks Nd keets?
If you think you might have a problem with the cecal worm you should worm by mouth, not in water. Oral doses are done based on weight, and for the cecal worm it's .05ml per 100 grams by mouth and repeat in ten days. For those that think wormer in the water will work, it's the same amount in water, doesn't matter how big or what age they are.

-Kathy

You can also get them to take the worm meds without catching them by mixing it with wet feed , what i do with my babies to get them to eat the first time is put feed in a water container and refill the feed as they eat it, what this does is keep the food moist so it does not cake up ,
I do not know about using the fishzole in the feed mixture but Kat says they need a specific amount so i would take her advice and dose each bird if possible if not then use the feed method as doing nothing at all would be way worse.

here are some photos.

For those that want to treat in water or food, the amount of wormer needed per chick to kill the cecal worm would be .01ml or .015ml per 100 grams (can't remember :D) three days in a row or a single dose of .05ml. Those numbers are per 100 grams, so one should probably catch one and weigh it.

Not sure how much keets weigh, but at about 10 days the *average* peachick weighs *about* 100 grams. Sigh, need to make a weight chart, lol.

Treating with metronidazole is a whole different story. It is *not* pleasant tasting, so one would need to treat each chick by mouth. For those that might need to do that I'm working on a plan that involves taking a 12ml syringe, one 250ml fishzole, placing tablet in syringe, filling syringe to 10ml mark. That syringe now has 10ml of water medicated to 25mg per 1ml. Just need to try it to make sure it works... And if it does, one could do it to treat very small chicks.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom