**UPDATED**Work in Progress--Slowly but Surely---New Picture Added

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
I've started working on my coop. I'm using mostly scrap wood that has been lying around either here or someplace else in addition to 1X6 decking that I got off Freecycle when someone replaced their deck. These suckers are heavy!!!! I'm covering the whole thing with 1/2 hardware cloth.

COOP1.jpg

This is end and side that will have the door as it looks from the outside. I've put hardware cloth in the window and also plan to put a plexy window there for the winter. The other smaller "window" will be the egg door.
COOP2.jpg

This is the same side from the inside. I've had to use wood filler to seal gaps in the deck boards. I plan to sand them down before I paint it.

I'm also thinking of swiping a bunch of those housing development signs, you know the ones that advertise new developments. They usually put a half dozen on each corner. (the law here says they can only be 1 every half mile, yeah right) They are made of corrigated (sp?) plastic. Thinking of using them to line the inside walls and thus adding a bit of insulation. Whatcha think?

More pics to come as the work progresses.

Coyote

Last edited:
Very creative - I think the sign idea is good also. A friend of mine did the same thing, but for her goats. Your coop is looking really nice - good luck on the rest.

Slow goes it. We had rain for over a week so I didn't get much work done. And then I was just plain lazy!!
th.gif

Here's the same view as the first one. This one just has paint!! Light Lavender. Thinking Bright Yellow trim (which isn't up yet) I need ya'lls imput on how you think it should be painted. Should the rest of the run(posts and bottom) be Lavender or Yellow or both? I'm thinking of painting Easter Eggs or flowers or something on it when it's completed.

COOP4.jpg

This is inside the run looking towards the coop. This end is made of 1X12 inch pine boards. The rest was made of 1X6 decking.
COOP5.jpg

This part folds down for better ventilation in the summer.
COOP6.jpg

2X4 roost runs all the way across-4ft. The nestbox will be at one end under the roost. I'm thinking of using a bucket. Notice the A1 and Remax signs.
ep.gif
Hubby still needs to, ah, hmm, Aquire (yeah that's it) aquire me a few more so I can finish insulating the inside.
COOP3.jpg

Almost forgot! The floor is 1X6 deck boards as well. I have screwed them all in except the one on the far right side under the nestbox access door. I thought this way I could pop it out and just rake out the coop into the hole. Not sure what to put down on the floor, pine or sand. Been searching for some vinyl flooring on Freecycle but so far no luck.

I've run out of hardware cloth and will have to wait until Hubby gets paid on Friday to finish off the other end and put the roof on. Planning on using plywood or particle board for roof and then shingle it with the packs and pack of shingles I got on freecycle. Thinking of cutting 2 skylights in the roof over the "coop" itself but not sure how well that will work with the shingles. Still need to get plexyglass for the window at the back of the coop.

***Savings Tip****Paint---$5 gal from Lowe's. Look around where they mix paint for the stuff people bring back or leave sitting some place else in the store. They mark it down real low just to get rid of it.

Last edited:
I love it! Our homedepot used to sell the oops paint really cheap but now the give it way to a charity. I guess that's okay. But I really wanted the cheap paint so now everytime I go into Walmart or Lowes I check and see what colors they have. I just finished the coop but want more for my house. I'd love the get the whole thing repainted inside. Especially if I could do it cheaply!

Our Home Depot now gives their "oops" paint to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Home Store. I have gone shopping there a few times, but haven't purchased anything yet. They have some awesome stuff; I saw French doors (that would be the fanciest coop yet! LOL!) for just $30 each!

Suburbanhomesteader--where is that store? I live close to the Dallas area. Is it the one in Garland right off of I30? There is some store there that sells stuff but most of it is new.

Back
Top Bottom