Updates on lone mallard hatch!

TweetyNPetey

Songster
7 Years
I have one lone Mallard duck egg in the bator. And I hoped so much that it would hatch. Today is day 25, and I have an internal pip!! He shouldn't be doing that until 2 days more! Well, I just wanted you to be here in case anything happened. XD. So I will keep you updated! I am charging my camera, so when I get an external pip, I can start recording the hatch. I am so excited, as this is my first duck hatch. But when he hatches, he's gonna be all alone! I wonder what I can do until I can buy him a duckie friend... Maybe I can put one of my baby chicks with him? Naw, they're too big. They aren't even under the heat lamp anymore. Oh well. I'll figure it out when the time comes.

No peeping. I can't see any more rolling.
fl.gif
Should I candle and look for movement? Or wait longer? The shell is
so thick!!! I don't know how the baby's gonna get out!!!
sad.png

I'll have to wait and see what happens!
pop.gif

Last edited:
The duckling broke the shell, but not the thick membrane. So I did that part for him, worried that he won't be able to breathe. So I can see the little beak now. I really thought he was dead when I picked up the egg. I pickled it up, not even a wiggle or a peep. He peeped ONCE as I was putting the egg back. The outer membrane JUST started to turn brown, so I got it wet with a little warm water and put it back in the bator. Filled my water "cup" as much as my Mini Advance will let me, and now hoping for the best. If he doesn't start zipping by tomorrow, should I help him out a bit? At 9PM tonight will be 24 hours since he pipped.

Back
Top Bottom