Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Pics
We had to call the sheriff on the neighbor. I had to call the vet for one of my roosters. So we were doing care in my driveway. Remember my driveway boarders his house. He opens his blinds to see who is talking and starts recording me and the vet. Then I’m bringing the chicken down back and he follows me. All while recording. Guess what? In NYS it’s illegal to record someone on their private property. Also pretty sure this counts as harassment.

We had to call the sheriff on the neighbor. I had to call the vet for one of my roosters. So we were doing care in my driveway. Remember my driveway boarders his house. He opens his blinds to see who is talking and starts recording me and the vet. Then I’m bringing the chicken down back and he follows me. All while recording. Guess what? In NYS it’s illegal to record someone on their private property. Also pretty sure this counts as harassment.
Good for you. He needs to pay some consequences.

So when you record him, it's only when he is on your property?
(I think that's what you said sometime earlier, but I didn't realize the importance of it until your post today.)
I record my property. My cameras aren’t pointed at him. They record my yard and driveway. Yes some of his yard is captured in said cameras but the majority of the recording is my yard. The reason he was recording me today was because I set up two cameras in my driveway. And you cannot record my driveway without recording his house. That’s how close these houses are.

He was recording me, and my children actually, on my property. Technically he was on my property as well but that’s a different thing all together. It was his intent to record me on my private property. The police agreed with us about him recording us. We showed the police our cameras and he had no problem with them. The police said to keep calling them to report everything. That they don’t mind coming out.

Last edited:
While I wish her well, it does appear that OP misunderstands "expectation of privacy".
I’m not sure what you mean by this. His privacy or mine?

Anyway all I know is that what my expectation of privacy is doesn’t really matter. The law says he cannot record me on my private property. Not that he has to be trespassing but that if he records me while I’m on my property it is illegal. I have talked to a lawyer about my cameras and she said as long as the majority of what is recording is my yard then that isn’t illegal.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. His privacy or mine?

Anyway all I know is that what my expectation of privacy is doesn’t really matter. The law says he cannot record me on my private property. Not that he has to be trespassing but that if he records me while I’m on my property it is illegal. I have talked to a lawyer about my cameras and she said as long as the majority of what is recording is my yard then that isn’t illegal.
Both. If one is outside, in public view, there is no expectation of privacy.

Explain street view or paparazzi. I'm on your and your chickens' side, but you're reaching.

Can you brilliant people help me make sense of these? It’s the zoning laws pertaining to a zoning variance. From what I’m reading I can appeal their decision but I was also supposed to fill out paperwork to apply for a variance? I never did any of that. I don’t even know if they know any of this.
487754C5-E428-4A41-A8BF-DF6C8D2A247C.jpeg
11CE83B5-0259-4C18-80CF-5633E118A1F2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom