Upper Respiratory Infection -- What is it? Can I continue to eat their eggs?

Quaranting new birds for at least 6 weeks will give you a good idea if the new birds are infected/infested with something, then treat or cull accordingly. Keep in mind that respiratory diseases have different incubation times...that's why it's recommended 6 weeks quarantine. There are a few diseases that have longer incubation times, it's always a risk. Usually though, the stress of quarantine will bring out the worst of an infected bird in a couple of weeks. You'll want to practice biosecurity too. Diseases can be transmitted on clothing, shoes, hands, sometimes airborne etc...Keeping newly quarantined birds the farthest away from a healthy flock is best.
I like to keep mine quarantined for at least 2 months.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kat!

Couldn't these birds have a bit of ammonia from being in the rain a couple days then chilled, and it not be a contagious disease?

Antibiotics only treat symptoms with respiratory diseases, they do not cure the disease. Surviving birds will remain carriers and will infect new birds added to a flock. A closed flock must be maintained and strict biosecurity procedures must be in place to prevent the spread of the disease(s.)
It's best to cull birds infected with respiratory disease, disinfect everything and wait several months (or longer) before starting over.
Is it never a case of just a cold? Does every sneeze require culling?

Is it never a case of just a cold? Does every sneeze require culling?
Birds don't get 'colds', but no, not every sneeze is a contagious disease. Birds sneeze if they get dust up their nose, just like humans.. or 'just because'. If you see constant sneezing, snot, swollen eyes, runny stuff, etc, that's when you start being concerned.

Also, even if it IS a disease, culling is up to you - there are those that will treat their birds, and that's fine IMO, just know your birds are probably carriers from that point on and the disease can come back when stressed. You'd need to maintain a closed flock and not let those birds leave your property. '

There's a thread in this section on fungal infections caused by damp conditions which is not contagious per se and I *think* the thread recommended misting with Oxine.

Last edited:
Okay, that's helpful. I saw was sneezing, but no visible snot or swollen eyes. But, I did hear rales or wheezing.

When I separate and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotics, pretty much all the symptoms go away quickly. I have one bird that is still sneezing a little. I'm going to keep them on antibiotics for 7-14 days as recommended (meaning, none of those quarantined are back in the coop yet).

This is such a distressing conversation. Because I am starting a replacement flock, I have lots of chicks and pullets (some pretty pricy) and I don't want them to get ill.

I'm going to read up on the fungal infection. I hope this is it.

Okay, that's helpful. I saw was sneezing, but no visible snot or swollen eyes. But, I did hear rales or wheezing.

When I separate and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotics, pretty much all the symptoms go away quickly. I have one bird that is still sneezing a little. I'm going to keep them on antibiotics for 7-14 days as recommended (meaning, none of those quarantined are back in the coop yet).

This is such a distressing conversation. Because I am starting a replacement flock, I have lots of chicks and pullets (some pretty pricy) and I don't want them to get ill.

I'm going to read up on the fungal infection. I hope this is it.
Rales and wheezing would concern me, as would the fact that it started to spread through your chickens. An occasional sneeze won't. =) But yes, read up on the fungal thing -I'm not entirely convinced on that when not supported with lab testing, but it's worth a shot.

fwiw, most of these diseases have very high morbidity (amount that get sick) but very low mortality (deaths). You don't HAVE to cull - they will recover and seem just fine. But the worry is that you would have to treat them all over again when they get sick the next time, plus now you have carrier birds that can bring it to new birds.

here is the thread..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-poultry-often-mistaken-for-crd-mycoplasmosis

Last edited:
Birds don't get 'colds', but no, not every sneeze is a contagious disease. Birds sneeze if they get dust up their nose, just like humans.. or 'just because'. If you see constant sneezing, snot, swollen eyes, runny stuff, etc, that's when you start being concerned.

Also, even if it IS a disease, culling is up to you - there are those that will treat their birds, and that's fine IMO, just know your birds are probably carriers from that point on and the disease can come back when stressed. You'd need to maintain a closed flock and not let those birds leave your property. '

There's a thread in this section on fungal infections caused by damp conditions which is not contagious per se and I *think* the thread recommended misting with Oxine.
x2 Environmental issues need to be taken into account.

Back
Top Bottom