Upper respiratory infection??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamaCta, Dec 22, 2016.

1. MamaCta

MamaCta Just Hatched

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi I am new to byc but have been reading all your threads for over a year. Now I'm in need of some advice.
    I have 15 pure bread Coucou de Malines that are not doing well. Bloody nasal discharge 2 are showing some neurological signs. I and treating them all with penpro and most seem to be getting better. But is this something that will come back? Or if I raise hatchlings for meat will they get sick? Virus vs Bacteria? Help any advice would be appreciated thanx

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC.It appears they have a respiratory infection.I would give them Tylan 50.Some respiratory infections comes back during stress.What do you mean when saying Neurological signs.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bloody mucus from the beak and nostrils can be from a virus called ILT (trach, infectious laryngotracheitis.) I would urge you to get them tested and separate them from the rest. ILT is contagious and can be chronic, and leave the flock as carriers. There is no treatment, but some use Tylan 50 to prevent secondary infections. Contact your state dept. of agriculture to find testing.

1 person likes this.
  4. MamaCta

MamaCta Just Hatched

Dec 22, 2016
    So my one too has his head curled under his cheats and shakes off and on. Walks like a drunk. But I have seen him drink when he snaps out of it. I'm culing him today of no change

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    He has Wry neck a vitamin deficiency.

6. MamaCta

MamaCta Just Hatched

Dec 22, 2016
    In what? They have electrolight plus vitamins in their water all winter because -30 in not uncommon. 18%pellets in a full time feeder. And a bit of corn/hen scratch/oyster shell mix tossed out in their run every morning. That get very little scraps in the winter.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Wry neck can caused by a Bacterial infection,Genetics,Head injury but a vitamin deficiency is the most common.

8. MamaCta

MamaCta Just Hatched

Dec 22, 2016
    Ok. I am on the lower end of the ratio. I'll re read it and up the water vits. Thanx. Just read up on some deficiencies and some of the symptoms match well with what I've seen in a few of my birds. With this URD I think some may have gone off water for a few days

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck or torticolis can be seen in infectious diseases. It is a neurological sign, and other causes are head injuries, vitamin E deficiency, Mareks disease, and in hereditary problems. In your case it is most likely from the respiratory disease that you have described. I would urge you to save the bodies of one or two chickens, if you cull or they die, and send them in to your state vet or poultry lab on Monday for a necropsy, to find the cause of illness.

10. MamaCta

MamaCta Just Hatched

Dec 22, 2016
    Would I freeze them if I cull him.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by