Upright and having neck/head spasms

I've never treated sour crop with garlic, and I can't say with authority that it won't work. But I suggest using a tried and true anti-yeast treatment as sour crop makes a chicken feel very sick and miserable, and you don't want to prolong that.

Miconazole vaginal anti-yeast cream is what most folks use for sour crop. It's easy, inexpensive, and it works 99% of the time. You can also use Medistatin and acidified copper sulfate.

I've never treated sour crop with garlic, and I can't say with authority that it won't work. But I suggest using a tried and true anti-yeast treatment as sour crop makes a chicken feel very sick and miserable, and you don't want to prolong that.

Miconazole vaginal anti-yeast cream is what most folks use for sour crop. It's easy, inexpensive, and it works 99% of the time. You can also use Medistatin and acidified copper sulfate.
Thanks for this info! I was googling and youtubing for a couple hours yesterday and came across this video:
. I decided to try it. My chicken's crop is still squishy this morning but seems not as enlarged. I have a friend coming over today to administer more garlic water every couple of hours while I"m at work. If my girl is not looking better when I get back from work, I'll go for the anti-yeast treatment. Thanks again for the info!

Garlic as a yeast infection treatment is not recognized as being effective. However, garlic in the drinking water can help prevent yeast infections by boosting the immune system. It may help fight a yeast infection if the yeast haven't taken up a strong hold yet.

I do commend the gal in the video for stressing that making a chicken vomit isn't a good idea. So many other videos insist on pushing that dangerous practice. Beware of YouTube videos. While some can be amazingly helpful, others are next to useless or worse. Some of these people are only motivated by earning the money YouTube gives them for clicks and aren't too interested in doing research and providing accurate information. Notice the gal in this video admits she doesn't understand how garlic works, she "just heard it does".

Thanks fo everyone for their feedback! I ended up doing the garlic water, and slowly introduced greek yoghurt, then scrambled eggs, and it worked! (with the first 2 days only using garlic water) My hen was almost back to herself on day 3, but I followed the regimen for 5 days, as recommended. Over a week later now she is still lively and her usual self. I think I'm in the clear. This was a great learning experience and I'm so glad my hen survived! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom