Ups and downs

I have one Lavender hen. I have 3 hens sitting on known hidden nests that I chase in every night. I know they have a fourth hidden nest but have not been able to find it.

Four days ago I could not find the Lavender hen who apparently was sitting on the unfound nest. I stomped around for over 1/2 an hour with no success. The next morning she was off the nest and hollering her head off.

I caught her and put her in my grow out pen. Later that day I put the lone Coral Blue keet from the brooder in with her. The keet was two weeks old. She did not attack the keet but she did not try to mother it either.

I put a heat lamp on that night for the keet and it was under the lamp the next morning. That next day the keet was getting within 6" of the hen. Yesterday the keet was within inches of her and was even walking under her this morning.
I may have to give that a try to break the broodiness. It was easier when I knew where the nest was at. Like you I’d just chase them off the nest each night.

I may have to give that a try to break the broodiness. It was easier when I knew where the nest was at. Like you I’d just chase them off the nest each night.
She isn't broody now. I am going to keep her penned with the keet since it is too little to be in the general population. The keet can now walk under her and is no longer terrified of her.

She isn't broody now. I am going to keep her penned with the keet since it is too little to be in the general population. The keet can now walk under her and is no longer terrified of her.
2 out of 3 - 2 hatched overnight on their own. 1 is a perky little thing and all fluffed up. The 2nd one 🤷‍♀️ made it out,had absorbed the yolk and not bloody, but was dead when I found it.
Doolally was the 3rd one. Doolally got about 1/2 way out and went to sleep and that's how I found him. I could see the yolk wasn't quite gone yet so let him be, and he eventually rolled out and went back to sleep. Not sure Doolally will remain it's name, but that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw that little bird snoozing in 1/2 an egg- Lolli-gagging. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom