1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Upsetting the Order of the Universe.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2boxers, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I had four extra roosters and I found them all good new homes. I kept the roo who was my favorite & he seems to like me pretty good, too. There's just a bit of a problem. Now he thinks he is ten feet tall & bullet proof. In twenty four hours, he has decided that he is BCOC (Biggest Cock of the Coop) and he is beating the fool out of my six hens. I am afraid to let him into the pen where they are, and I am afraid to let them out to free range yet (they are adult but they aren't tame yet.)

My questions are as follows:

1. Will he kill my hens?
    2. Will the pecking order get itself straightened out on it's own or...
    3. Do I need to say goodbye to my boy Flop (his comb flops over and covers one eye) and get a new roo that the girls can deal with?

My rooster is a Rhode Island Red and my hens are significantly smaller than he is. I am afraid he will kill one.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I can't help you, but I thought this phrase was hilarious. [​IMG]

Good luck! Someone will be around to advise I'm sure...

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    This is a good excuse to get more hens! If you get him about 10 more hens, it will dilute the attention and over-amourous-ness towards the ones you have...

hee hee...

4. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Well, now I hadn't thought of it that way, but I think you're right!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Some roosters can be very aggressive with their hens...the more hens the better.....

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Wow... what a FANTASTIC excuse for more chickens! Now I hope I end up with a Roo so I have to get more hens! (To keep order of course.)

Enjoy your new hens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by