Upside down for three days, will they be ok?

tberggren

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Ithaca NY
Just wondering, as one of the batch of my eggs were upside down in the box. I guess it had so much foam wrapped around it they couldn't tell which end was up.
Anyway, what do you thing, will it make a difference.

<sigh> Again, it was my poor Blue Orp eggs. (However the breeder kindly added an extra half dozen and they were not upside down and also didn't seem to rattle around so much, so my hopes are with them.
smile.png
)

Hi!
That was very generous of the breeder to add an extra half-dozen.

Just rest them 'big end up' for a few hours before setting.
Did you candle them to see how the air cells look?
If the air cells are intact and stable in the big end they should be hatchable.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

I think the eggs got moved and jostled and turned plenty in the travel from shippers house to yours. Placing an egg with the large side up is the accepted method and in the turner that is the best but remember hens lay eggs that lay flat and they stay that way for days on end. I have also read in the Encyclopedia of Chickens that you should place the eggs in a carton and turn them upside down ever day. That would have the small end up every other day. The Idea is to turn the eggs so the yolk does not sag to one side thus preventing the chick from developing normally. That is NOT to say that eggs that were not kept in this manner will all develop abnormally. It just means that you will give them the very best possible chance for proper development.

Back
Top Bottom