Upstairs Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by packman911, Aug 17, 2010.

1. packman911

packman911 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    The design has nesting boxes over floor space. I thought they could gain access from the ladder to their roost and a ledge in front. Just want to make sure they use them when the time comes. Have to admit, I'm getting impatient ... 19 weeks. Thanks Rick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    I built some nest boxes about 18" off the ground, and no body has gone for that. All my girls like the lower nest boxes. I can't speak for anyone else's experience, tho.

3. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    nice idea getting them up off the floor. mine are about 2 weeks older than yours and I'm suspecting that I have 3 out of my 5 laying so far.....they don't care for the nest boxes. I find my eggs on the floor in the corners of the coop......don't get too impatient...keep checking for a little surprise left behind. Like I said, mine are only 2 weeks older than yours...won't be long now

4. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I have my girls nesting boxes about 3 ft off the floor they are 2 boxes high and 3 wide. the top of the boxes are 5 ft off ground and I have about 6 girls the roost on top of those boxes every nite. none of mine have a problem with the boxes being that high.
    BUT every girl has her own mind so whats good for the goose may not be good for the gander LOL. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by