UPSTATE NY chickenstock OCT 3rd Sunday!! -The aftermath and hatching

yes i saw the pics..they are too cute..and I am hatching out the very same thing right now...the only way I can tell is by the size of the egg who the hen was..the smallest eggs were the silkie,the whiteish ones the next size up were lakenvelder and the biggest are the new hampshire <brown> the ones in between are the rir

Ah interesting! I know one of the chicks that hatched out of a medium size brown egg was a fluffy yellow chick. It had the shell stuck to its tushie!
smile.png
Two of the huge eggs hatched and a bunch of the smaller ones, plus the mediums. So maybe if there was a silkie in the mix that's why some of the little yellow ones also have five toes like the favorelle. We'll see what they'll look like soon.
smile.png

Last edited:
Actually this is the fifth time I've incubated and I keep dreading to have to 'cull' a chick for some weird deformity. Thank goddess, it has not yet happened. Everything that actually hatched was meant to hatch.
smile.png
I only open eggs afterwards to see if there was an error in my process. In this case, I don't think so. Most of my eggs hatched and the only oddity was those two really wet chicks - and the others were NOT wet. Someone on the hatching thread said those two giant eggs might not have been porous enough so that I might have tried sanding down the aircell area a bit to increase airflow, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do that!

The other problem could have been that I stuffed 30 eggs into an already cramped brinsea octagon 20, but I had ZERO shrinkwrapping this time, so it was worth it. And I even opened the bator to snatch out chicks every 10 chicks or so and no shrinkwrapping. I love the brinsea! I used my hovabator (grrr - I hate that thing.. ) as a 'dry out' middle zone.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I dragged my husband over to see your pics....and gave him the old "it's nice to live vicariously through other people" guilt trip. Great pics. Hopefully in a few months it will be us posting similar pictures! Where on the cruise did you go?

DO NOT GO ON A SMALL SHIP! This ship was huge and you barely felt the movement of the water! Also be sure to get a window or a balcony. Hubby did not want to spend the extra $300 but by the end of day one he said this balcony is going to make the trip!!!

We did Western Caribbean - Costa Mya Mexico, Roatan Honduras (awesome!) Cozomel Mexico. Really great time!! 7 nights.

Quote:
I dragged my husband over to see your pics....and gave him the old "it's nice to live vicariously through other people" guilt trip. Great pics. Hopefully in a few months it will be us posting similar pictures! Where on the cruise did you go?

DO NOT GO ON A SMALL SHIP! This ship was huge and you barely felt the movement of the water! Also be sure to get a window or a balcony. Hubby did not want to spend the extra $300 but by the end of day one he said this balcony is going to make the trip!!!

We did Western Caribbean - Costa Mya Mexico, Roatan Honduras (awesome!) Cozomel Mexico. Really great time!! 7 nights.

I am green with envy.

Quote:
You would be surprised how sick you DON'T get!. I got the patch from my DR before I left just in case. It was fine. You get a bit wonky feeling at first when the boat moves then after a couple hours it is just fine. Slept awesome with the sound of the ocean off the balcony and the SLIGHT movement!

Oh now it sounds like heaven to me. Ocean sounds make me sleep really well. Beautiful pictures..........food good?
lol.png

Quote:
You would be surprised how sick you DON'T get!. I got the patch from my DR before I left just in case. It was fine. You get a bit wonky feeling at first when the boat moves then after a couple hours it is just fine. Slept awesome with the sound of the ocean off the balcony and the SLIGHT movement!

Back
Top Bottom