Upstate NY Coop - Insulate or Not to Insulate

I am insulating both my coops. this past winter was brutal on us in CT sub zero temps and all of them got frost bitten on their combs. sure it grew back I just felt bad for them so bad in fact most days they stayed inside the coop by their choice.
.......I think by insulating them it will help keep some of the day warmth from the sun ........
Insulation actually keeps the sun from heating up a building, unless you have lots of double glazed windows to let the sun in but keep the heat in.

I live near Buffalo New York. my sisters coop is not insulated , has no electric and was in the middle of a field and the chicken survived just fine threw the winters of new York

Quote: Thanks for the archival link, Jack!

It is a very good read...(and highly recommended).... time tested by many in very cold climates. Some of that forgotten lore of yesteryear that many people tend to overlook, because they think modern thought has to be better. ha ha ha (NOT!) .... Chickens, however, have remained the same animals and will continue to thrive in cold climates, cloaked in their own comfortable and genetically engineered down & feather insulated capes.

It has no vents it has two windows one on the south side one on the west the Amish built it with a slight crack at the peak to let moister out. Covered by a tin roof.Seems to work well never had any sick chickens

My coop will windows on all four sides, big double crank out on one wall, then crank outs on the other walls. We are not packing it tight with insulation, just a little on the back wall that is on the woods side, as it is very windy.

Back
Top Bottom