Urban Homesteaders

Excellent build, excellent repurposing of materials. You are blessed by a moderate climate. Your set up is an excellent visual pic of one of my "mantra's" If every one who could, would: do a bit of gardening, keep a few chickens, use, reuse, repurpose instead of spend, spend, spend, we would turn the economy of this country around. Our government would not know how to handle a country full of citizens who were self sufficient.

I LOVE the ReStore! I got the windows for my coop there too. Your coop is awesome. I love all the different aspects you worked with. How it connects to the greenhouse to share warmth, the grapevines on top for cooling, turning the gate. You have so many great ideas!

I took a 10 by 12 metal shed, pulled out the doors and framed it for a people door. Bought the doors and windows from the Restore, bought the wood at the estate sale of a man who loved his woodworking hobbies. I got all his wood, a cord of firewood, plus a bunch of cedar shakes for $40. Anyway, I got a free over the fridge kitchen cabinet at the ReStore, made a chicken door with the cabinet door, and used the cabinet for nesting boxes. I had cut down a laurel hedge, and used the thick branches for roosts, then I found a cute ladder at the ReStore for 3.50 cents, and used that as a roost too. It was painted already.

I also built 2 broody coops and runs, and I'm going to replace the first one since it is too small with a coop and run that looks like a train. I saw it on here somewhere.

Y'all take a look at my coop. It is completely built from old shipping crates and connected to the greenhouse which is built using pallets. The windows came from Habitat for Humanity Restore. I don't know if those resale stores are found where you are. . .
:goodpost: VERY GOOD..!!! :clap i especially love the green house part..! :woot i any one can pick up any amount of pallets for free from a publishing co. so thats a good place to look start with your local news papers & see if you can take away some pallets for free..!l :D;) hmmm Habitat for Humanity Restore, sounds like a good idea..!!!:thumbsup i will keep that in mind ,i have been eye balling my metal shed to use like you did but still got to find a place for all i have stored in it HA, i planned to also take off the doors and add a wood people size door with a drop down chicken door that i can leave open for them in the rain since my flock of 75 free ranges till dark every day and i think it needs to be raised up on block , so i can stand up in it to clean, i plan to put in a floor of the largest cement stepping stones for drainage in the floor if need be , we all just need to go for it...!!! & do your thing..!!!! and see how it goes ..!!! but i must say excellent job on your part ..!! & good going...!! & right on..!!!! :highfive::woot:thumbsup:highfive::yesss::celebrate

Last edited:
I LOVE the ReStore! I got the windows for my coop there too. Your coop is awesome. I love all the different aspects you worked with. How it connects to the greenhouse to share warmth, the grapevines on top for cooling, turning the gate. You have so many great ideas!
I took a 10 by 12 metal shed, pulled out the doors and framed it for a people door. Bought the doors and windows from the Restore, bought the wood at the estate sale of a man who loved his woodworking hobbies. I got all his wood, a cord of firewood, plus a bunch of cedar shakes for $40. Anyway, I got a free over the fridge kitchen cabinet at the ReStore, made a chicken door with the cabinet door, and used the cabinet for nesting boxes. I had cut down a laurel hedge, and used the thick branches for roosts, then I found a cute ladder at the ReStore for 3.50 cents, and used that as a roost too. It was painted already.

I also built 2 broody coops and runs, and I'm going to replace the first one since it is too small with a coop and run that looks like a train. I saw it on here somewhere.

Wow, you have an energetic brain and are resourceful! I like all of your ideas!

Last edited:
:goodpost: VERY GOOD..!!! :clap i especially love the green house part..! :woot i any one can pick up any amount of pallets for free from a publishing co. so thats a good place to look start with your local news papers & see if you can take away some pallets for free..!l :D;) hmmm Habitat for Humanity Restore, sounds like a good idea..!!!:thumbsup i will keep that in mind ,i have been eye balling my metal shed to use like you did but still got to find a place for all i have stored in it HA, i planned to also take off the doors and add a wood people size door with a drop down chicken door that i can leave open for them in the rain since my flock of 75 free ranges till dark every day and i think it needs to be raised up on block , so i can stand up in it to clean, i plan to put in a floor of the largest cement stepping stones for drainage in the floor if need be , we all just need to go for it...!!! & do your thing..!!!! and see how it goes ..!!! but i must say excellent job on your part ..!! & good going...!! & right on..!!!! :highfive::woot:thumbsup:highfive::yesss::celebrate
Thanks! We try to do what we can with what we have. Good luck to you and I totally support the being able to stand up inside coop part. Cleaning is enough of a chore without stooping!

Hey,
We did this once at another house. Just pour concrete into the rings and leave them be until it hardens and then move on down the line. You can get as plain or as fancy as you want. Add designs or colored rock or leaf imprints or paw prints or whatever. Fill in with gravel or smaller rocks and it makes a pretty good flooring for raw ground.

Attachments

• concreteringstones.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 10
Hey,
We did this once at another house. Just pour concrete into the rings and leave them be until it hardens and then move on down the line. You can get as plain or as fancy as you want. Add designs or colored rock or leaf imprints or paw prints or whatever. Fill in with gravel or smaller rocks and it makes a pretty good flooring for raw ground.
great idea ..!!! :woot:highfive::thumbsup & keep those good ideas coming..!!!

Back
Top Bottom