Urban Hot Climate Coop - Framed Up

SB Austex

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Austin
This is our first coop. I've been reading a lot on BYC and in the books to plan it well. We are in Central Texas so the focus is on hot climate and predators. My sweetheart is doing the design/build with me as designer and assistant mitre saw 2x4 chopper!

The coop is ~ 2 feet off the ground and in the photo below, the square hole in the center of the roof is for a 'pop-up' for ventilation. The pop up is designed so a standard inexpensive box fan can slide in to assist ventilation in summer heat. There will be a wire ceiling below the fan to keep chickens away.

The high edge is the front which will have 2 doors that can be latched open for the summer and closed in the (brief) winter. There will be no lip at the front where the doors go for easy clean out. One of the doors will have a pop-door cut out for when the coop doors are closed. There will be a horizontal vent panel across the low side of the back. Nesting boxes on the left side with external doors for egg access. All vents/openings will have 1/2" x 1" welded wire which will also surround the bottom (buried 1' or with 1.5 foot apron and rocks - depends on how hard the digging is).

The walls and floors are framed as independent panels and screwed in so that it could be taken apart and reassembled if it ever has to be moved. We're cutting a masonite panel (about $8.00) to cover the floor, so it can be replaced if needed over time.

There will be a 2 part pen -- 1 with shaded roofing which will be like part of the coop and extend an additional 5 feet from the front of the coop. This will attach to a 4' x 15' (by 6' tall) run - 2x4 framed with the 1/2" x1" welded wire and hog panels for stability (and large dog proofing) along the bottom half and a wire roof against hawks & owls. There will be a person-sized door at the coop and the far end of the run.

What do you think?

56974_coop_roofing.jpg

Last edited:
Great 'starter' coop!!!!

If I had mine to do over again, I would have left the north end open and then I would place fixed tarps to give the coop constant shade. As it is, it's in shade most of the day and I finally had to put a small wall AC unit in to keep it cool on the days it goes over 105.

@ Mahonri - Thanks. We don't get quite the temps you do, but still. Those open doors will be facing north when place. It's along a tall wall, too so mostly only early day direct sun.

Mine esentially has only one real wall on the back, and the rest is just a platform with half-walls and chicken wire. Lots of ventilation. I desined it after other Florida chicken owners' coops, but you may have colder winters than we do.

Nice looking job so far!

Here's something to think about as far as the "no lip" aspect to the side of the coop that opens. Are you going to use some kind of bedding or substrate? I think you may find that you'll need a removeable panel to keep your substrate from spilling out when you open the door. I use sand in my coop, and I put a board across the side that opens; it fits into grooves I fashioned on either end.

I don't see whether you're building a pop door, but if you are make sure you build it a bit higher than the level of your substrate or you'll have spill out there, too.

Seems well designed and definately well built so far! Can't wait to see the progress...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom