Urgent Advice Needed for Neglected Bird

Someone most likely had more then one boy and they were fighting, so they dumped him out.
That would definitely explain the state of him! What an awful situation. I can't believe they'd tie him up like that. Hopefully I can find a rescue that will not euthanize a rooster

Hello!

My neighbor knows we had chickens and asked if we were missing one. I was not, but he said that there was a bird in their driveway that he was worried an animal had attacked, and he didn’t want to scare it away.

We went to go catch it, and we found a bird that was soaking wet, scrawny, sitting in a pool of diarrhea, and not standing up when we approached. When I grabbed it, this bird was missing its neck and chest feathers and its legs were fully tied up with a cloth that had been double knotted.

We have the bird set up in a bathroom right now because our old coop is in the sunlight, and I just had to rehome my birds only a few days ago, so this bird could get sick from any fecal matter still in there.View attachment 3196941View attachment 3196933

I’m thankful that this bird (can’t tell gender because comb is small but remaining tail feathers look sharp and long) is perching and eating, but I need to find someone who can rehab it.

It does not appear to have bloody areas, but it still might benefit from a vet visit. I do not want to look for the owners considering the condition of the bird.

Who do I call? Do I post a listing online to see if someone in my area can rehab a chicken, do I leave it with a vet, or do I call a place like the SPCA?

Thank you for any advice you can give!!
The bird doesn't look abused. It's not missing feathers from abuse. He doesn't appear to be deathly ill either. He may have been ditched though...it's anyone's guess.

Are you aware that chicken diseases are very easily spreadable? If he is carrying a disease you are putting your own flock in jeopardy by having that bird in your house.

The bird doesn't look abused. It's not missing feathers from abuse. He doesn't appear to be deathly ill either. He may have been ditched though...it's anyone's guess.

Are you aware that chicken diseases are very easily spreadable? If he is carrying a disease you are putting your own flock in jeopardy by having that bird in your house.
Thank you for the reply. You're right. A lot of people say he's a Naked Neck, though his belly is completely bare and his tail feathers are falling out, so he's not in top shape (and the person who ditched him tied him up and left him out in roughly 90 degree heat).

Yes I am! I actually had to rehome my own flock a few days ago because my parents could not care for them, and I am about to move out. I would certainly not have brought this bird anywhere near my own if they were here still, and I am not putting the Naked Neck out in their old coop at the moment because I have not had a chance to clean it out yet

I know! I don't know how he ended up tied up like this. I hate to think he was taken from his owner and treated so poorly, but I'm also afraid that he was treated like this by his owner, so I don't know where to post about him.
Thank you for that advice! I recently rehomed my laying hens because my parents cannot care for them, and I cannot afford a house with a yard, and I made sure to put a rehoming fee on them so that they would go to a good home (but I know that's even more imperative with a rooster)
The owner does not want him back and will not try to get him back, so I think it’s safe to post about him.

Some feed stores have boards in their stores you can post on. Maybe if you have an avian vet in your area they could have one as well. Lots of people love naked necks too.

Some feed stores have boards in their stores you can post on. Maybe if you have an avian vet in your area they could have one as well. Lots of people love naked necks too.
Oh that's a great idea! I do have an avian vet in my area and a Rooster Home and Hardware near me. I definitely want to make sure he can be taken care of and not euthanized since he seems well behaved and will probably be a prettier rooster for someone's flock after he molts the damaged feathers off

Back
Top Bottom