URGENT - Advice needed please - My newborn chick can't walk properly!!

sparkler

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
United Kingdom !!!
Hi everyone!

My newborn chick (Lavender Pekin) was born around 5 hours ago, and she/he is unable to walk on one of the legs. i have been able to extend it myself without any painful cries from the chick.

But I am now worried, will this fix itself, or do i need to put a splint on the chick, if so, could someone advice the easiest way to do this myself.

I hope someone can answer soon.

Many thanks

Make sure your chick eats and drinks properly, maybe add some chicken vitamins to the water. See how it is in 12 hours or so.
smile.png

Hi,
Thank you to you both for your words of advice. much appreciated.

I have just noticed that the leg that the chick is not walking on, the toes seem to be slightly curled in, and after picking him/her up the good leg stretches out, where as the bad one stays tucked up.

I will leave it untill the morning and see how the chick is going, i am just keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fine.

Thank You ever so much.

Best wishes

I once had a chick who hatched with one of his legs bent up tight against his tummy. I took him to the vet (I know, I know, I'm nuts) and she recommended giving him "physical therapy" several times a day. I had to bend and stretch his leg and also massage it. He did eventually walk on it although he limped. When he was about a year and a half old, his hock became infected and I took him back to the vet. They gave me antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs but he didn't get any better. Then I brought him back and they put him under to take xrays and he died coming out of the anesthesia. Hopefully, your baby will have a much happier ending but I thought you'd want to know the whole story to prepare yourself mentally. Good luck with your sweet little baby bird.

Make a little cardboard shoe for the chick and tape it on the foot so it will grow normal, the sooner the better. I would get some chick vitamins and make sure the chick gets those vitamins in her.

Both as soon as possible ASAP
smile.png

ESP vites E,B,A, and D made esp for birds

Last edited:
hi,

Just so im not being stupid, (as this is my first hatch) which foot are you saying that needs to have the shoe put on,,, the one stretched out, or the one tucked up.

Thank You very much

The one that is stretched out in the picture looks like the toes are curled. Which leg is which and what is each doing? I am getting confused here.

Last edited:
Sorry to confuse everyone... The chick's leg that is tucked up, has slighlty curled toes... and the one that is straight out seems to be fine... whether he/she is stretching out that leg to compensate for the one tucked up i dont know....

she/he has survived the night.... so thats great news... i will be speaking to a vet today... to get some more advice.

being my first hatchlings, i am worried about this little one, she seems ok in every other way, so i will keep fingers crossed.

i shall keep you updated

many thanks

Back
Top Bottom