Urgent Advice needed PLEASE

stonerose69

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
I have just been given a lovely chicken coop by a friend that my husband and i carried home. My friend warned me that it had a red mite infection and would need treating. We put the coop outside and came in to Google the best red mite treatments. While sitting on the sofa with the laptop lots of tiny little insects started walking across the screen!!!! Then they were on our arms, legs and clothes. We got up to investigate and noticed the sofa was covered too!!!!
sad.png
sad.png
I got my powerful magnifying glass to look at them, they look similar to a spider but they aren't and they are not red either. I have hoovered up as many as i can see and put our clothes in the wash as on inspection they were there too.
Im guessing these are red mites but what the hell do i do????????? i am itching like mad, hubby is in the shower and im next!!!!
HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP:hit
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Thank you so much, i am guessing they are red mites as my friend removed his chickens from the coop on Saturday and the coop has stood empty and the mites didnt have any dinner so as soon as we touched it they came out looking for a new host. i am also guessing thats why they arn't red as they have not sucked any blood since Sat.
I am freaking out!! They keep crawling out of the screen corners on my laptop Eeeeeeeewwwwwww
barnie.gif

Since they did come from the coop, they are most likely plain chicken mites, especially since they are not red.

Treat the area with a spray that kills mites and dust it with Seven or a Poultry Dust. You may have to apply it several times over the next few weeks to kill them all.

Here is some mite information for you...from another source:

There are several kinds of mites including the Red Mite and the Northern Fowl Mite, but I'm going to let you research the different mites on your own. I'd like to address the overall health of your birds and the damage that something as simple as a mite infestation can do.

I've witnessed an otherwise healthy bird be downed by a mite problem. A severe infestation can lead to anemia and can easily kill a good bird in three days if untreated. A classic symptom of a mite infestation (other than physically seeing them through physical examination) is paleness in the comb and/or wattles. If your bird seems depressed, sulks, and is pale in their skin color, then the first place I would look is the vent area. Although infestations can occur in other areas of the bird, the vent area is the most likely since the mites can get their moisture from that area easily.

Other areas to pay attention to are in the ears, on the thigh, and in the neck area under the hackle feathers. Also look for scabbing on the skin, which would indicate that mites were there and may have moved on to a more desirable part of the body.

Once you find a mite infestation on your bird, the treatment course will vary depending on the severity of the problem. If you have a minor problem, simply spraying the bird or dusting it once and then again three days later can usually do the trick. You may also want to replace their bedding and use poultry/livestock dust or Seven dust underneath the new bedding

If you have a very severe infestation, then the following is the course of action that I find most successful: The day you discover the problem, determine if it is isolated to one bird, or the whole flock. I'll outline treatment for one bird and you can adapt that to a whole flock, using a common sense approach. The first thing I do is spray the bird in the infested areas with Adams Flea and Tick Mist for dogs (avoiding eyes, ears, and the actual vent, although above and below the vent may be imperative). Then I treat the bird with either an injection of Ivomec (Ivermectin) or using one of the 'pour-on' Eprinex products. You'll have to calculate the dosages based on the particular livestock product you use. Seeking the help of a local Vet on dosage may be helpful.

I immediately get the bird on a mineral supplement (a combination product of vitamins, minerals, and probiotics is best, but I'm looking to boost iron overall). Within 24 hours of treatment with the Adams Mist, I bathe the bird with comfortably warm water and Adams Flea and Tick Shampoo for dogs (do not get this into the bird's eyes or ears). This should take a while as I make sure that I not only wash out all of the dead mites, but also want to make sure that the shampoo makes contact with any leftover mites that may still be alive. I allow the shampoo to remain on the bird for about five minutes, massaging thoroughly the entire time.

For the house...vacuum vacuum vacuum There are sprays and such you can use on furniture and etc. Bed bugs are a mite and in the same family.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Well we didnt have red mites but we had bird mites in our house last year... before chickens BTW. This will sound crazy but Lysol worked great. I found that info on a google search. It took us about 5 days. Washing everything in HOT HOT water. Showering 2-3 times a day. We also sprayed tea tree oil around and used tea tree oil soap.

Hope it helps...
idunno.gif

Thanks for all your advice, hubby is currently blow torching the coop to preveny any more coming in! I have put his shoes in the freezer lol as he didnt want to burn them, the other clothes are burning in the trash bin as for the house i am on mite patrol and have hoovered about 100 times in the last hour. Still itching though lol:fl

Back
Top Bottom