URGENT(again) Duckling has mucusy blood stuck in his butt

Duckpooper

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
I just came home and found one of my ducklings has like clotted blood on his butt. What do I do I don't want to lose another duckling? Do I clean it off, or separate him from the others or does he need meds?

Does the duckling appear to be acting normal, eating, drinking, producing normal colored poops? Pictures of the area?

I would first attempt to determine if the blood was caused by an external laceration, as if not, the problem could be related to something internally, like Coccidiosis, or a bacterial infection like necrotic enteritis, both of which can cause bloody droppings.

Examine the area, then try to clean it off with a damp towel, avoiding getting the down too wet as that may cause chilling. If lacerations are noted, the duckling should be put in a pen where it can see the others, but can't touch, or the bully bird needs to be identified and separated using the same technique.

Does the duckling appear to be acting normal, eating, drinking, producing normal colored poops? Pictures of the area?

I would first attempt to determine if the blood was caused by an external laceration, as if not, the problem could be related to something internally, like Coccidiosis, or a bacterial infection like necrotic enteritis, both of which can cause bloody droppings.

Examine the area, then try to clean it off with a damp towel, avoiding getting the down too wet as that may cause chilling. If lacerations are noted, the duckling should be put in a pen where it can see the others, but can't touch, or the bully bird needs to be identified and separated using the same technique.
He's less aggressive than the others and is smaller than the rest and sleeps more too(I think that means he's weak) . I will send a picture of his butt in a few minutes after I separate him

He's less aggressive than the others and is smaller than the rest and sleeps more too(I think that means he's weak) . I will send a picture of his butt in a few minutes after I separate him
Now that I started to try and clean it it looks like maybe his vent came out because it's not musucy it's like squishy

Attachments

• 20201118_164610.jpg
    20201118_164610.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 2
If the red tissue is indeed located near his vent area, and not more near his navel area which could be because of an unabsorbed yolk sac, it's more than likely a vent prolapse. I would try to apply coconut oil, vaseline, or an antibacterial ointment to the area, in hopes that it will go back in on its own. Keep it moist as needed, and avoid rubbing it too hard. If the tissue doesn't go in own its own, you may need to try to gently push the tissue back in, but that would be something I would do as a last option. Keep the duckling on towels instead of straw, or shavings for now.

There can be several causes of vent prolapse in ducklings, but one common cause, and can further worsen the problem is constipation. Try feeding the duckling only moistened duckling starter for now, and consider adding a few drops of mineral oil to her feed.

Vitamins added to water may be good.

Back
Top Bottom