URGENT Bantam Silkie possible aspiration

afwifey

Songster
May 12, 2018
South Carolina
8E3B3CD3-3BEB-44F8-A1A7-084BEE277D1F.jpeg

I found our bantam silky next to the water bowl and her entire beard and face were wet. She is breathing but she was making an odd sound like she was coughing up water. Now she is panting with an open mouth. Is there anything I can do to help her? I think she may have had her whole head submerged in the water.
Edited to add: She had laid an egg right beside the water dish. It was her first egg in a very long time. The other full size Silkie was pacing beside her like she was concerned. No idea what exactly happened.

Last edited:
How is she doing?

If she aspirated water, I'm not sure what you can do but monitor her and see how it goes.

Does she have any lesions inside her beak?
No lesions that I could see but she did pant for a while and sounded raspy. She got back outside and rolled around in the misters and dirt (mud) for a while and then seemed much better. I’m wondering if laying the first egg in a long time plus at the heat of the day (it got pretty hot here today and she’s only been outside since last fall) made her have a little overheated moment and maybe she dipped her head too far into the water? Something. I got rid of the water bowl - just a standard waterer in there now. I think she’s doing
F9C6C99E-1EDE-4C36-A02C-A84E6EF0094D.jpeg
well but I’m anxious to see her be-bop out in the morning!

No lesions that I could see but she did pant for a while and sounded raspy. She got back outside and rolled around in the misters and dirt (mud) for a while and then seemed much better. I’m wondering if laying the first egg in a long time plus at the heat of the day (it got pretty hot here today and she’s only been outside since last fall) made her have a little overheated moment and maybe she dipped her head too far into the water? Something. I got rid of the water bowl - just a standard waterer in there now. I think she’s doing View attachment 3079602well but I’m anxious to see her be-bop out in the morning!
Hope everything goes well :hugs

No lesions that I could see but she did pant for a while and sounded raspy. She got back outside and rolled around in the misters and dirt (mud) for a while and then seemed much better. I’m wondering if laying the first egg in a long time plus at the heat of the day (it got pretty hot here today and she’s only been outside since last fall) made her have a little overheated moment and maybe she dipped her head too far into the water? Something. I got rid of the water bowl - just a standard waterer in there now. I think she’s doing View attachment 3079602well but I’m anxious to see her be-bop out in the morning!
I'm glad she's doing better.
Hopefully she just aspirated a bit of water will not ill effects.

She may need a little fluff trimmed from around her eyes so she can see and judge distances better, she may have just dunked herself.

Cute little thing:)

I'm glad she's doing better.
Hopefully she just aspirated a bit of water will not ill effects.

She may need a little fluff trimmed from around her eyes so she can see and judge distances better, she may have just dunked herself.

Cute little thing:)
I was scared to trim after feedback about certain feathers being dangerous to cut. Around the eyes, am I ok? Thank you!

I was scared to trim after feedback about certain feathers being dangerous to cut. Around the eyes, am I ok? Thank you!
No, dont be worried. Just obviously be careful and not get to close to the eyes.

Yes, thats fine. Careful not to cut the quicks, though.
i trim my bearded silkie around her eyes all the time, she definitely needs it to see properly.

Back
Top Bottom