URGENT - Chicken with Swollen butt - have her in bath now

When draining many use a 35 ml syringe and 18 gauge needle found at feed stores to draw the ascites fluid from the abdomen . The pictures in that thread post 42 by casportpony are very good.

I have had several hens with the enlarged lower abdomen. I never knew if they had ascites or just masses of internally laid eggs from salpingitis. I never drained any, and some lived for 2-3 years with it. The only one I ever drained was a small bantam who had bluish discoloration to her belly and was having labored breathing. It did help her and confirmed ascites. But she died within 2 weeks any way.

Last edited:
UPDATE - since this is my favorite chicken, I am biting the bullet and going to the vet. She is also my prize hen - well, if i entered her. She has the biggest comb in all the land :) See photo.

Just discovered one more chicken that is swollen, so good to to find out what it is since 3 of my 8 chickens have this.

Thanks for all the support. Will post an update of what I learn from the vet as it may be helpful to others.

-Ginger

Attachments

• IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 3
When draining many use a 35 ml syringe and 18 gauge needl found at feed stores to draw the ascites fluid from the abdomen . The pictures in that thread post 42 by casportpony are very good.

I have had several hens with the enlarged lower abdomen. I never knew if they had ascites or just masses of internally laid eggs from salpingitis. I never drained any, and some lived for 2-3 years with it. The only one I ever drained was a small bantam who had bluish discoloration to her belly and was having labored breathing. It did help her and confirmed ascites. But she died within 2 weeks any way.
Thanks Eggcessive! I may get a needle and instructions from the vet to help my 3rd hen. Appreciate all your comments. It is so comforting to have this community to consult. It is so stressful to have a sick hen. Any information is consoling.

(huggs)
Ginger

Draining is not without risk of infection or in rare cases, death. If there is ascites, it does not get better. Draining may help ease pain or pressure, but the fluid comes back. I usually do not drain mine if they are active and eating okay. It is a very common symptom to have an enlarged abdomen.

Last edited:
UPDATE - since this is my favorite chicken, I am biting the bullet and going to the vet. She is also my prize hen - well, if i entered her. She has the biggest comb in all the land :) See photo.

Just discovered one more chicken that is swollen, so good to to find out what it is since 3 of my 8 chickens have this.

Thanks for all the support. Will post an update of what I learn from the vet as it may be helpful to others.

-Ginger
Did you ever get a diagnosis from the vet? I am seeing similar issues with my flock. Thank you and I hope your hens came through okay Kate

Back
Top Bottom