Urgent! Cut on leg that has pus

wolfladyrn2

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Rhode Island Red, 7 months

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Standing on one leg most of the time but when walks limps

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just noticed today

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
I have two with the same issue

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I was told it would be easier to identify from my older chickens so this group had leg bands. Noticed today that the leg bands had cut into the legs of two of my chickens(took them off all of them) When I removed the band there was pus and the leg/ankle area was hot to touch and swollen/soft

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Leg band was to tight

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Not seeing a change in diet

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Took the band off and wipe away any excess drainage

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Thought of treating myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Coop with total of 14 chickens, wood shavings with heat lamp and two large roosts

I would appreciate any input. This is my second year caring for chickens so my knowledge isn't broad.
Thanks to anyone and everyone that reply's.
Elizabeth H

welcome-byc.gif

Wish it was under better circumstances. Have you ever treated an infection before? I would start by really cleaning the birds wounds well with soap and water. I would then put an antibiotic ointment on it. Then cover with the kind of gauze pads that don't stick and cover that with vet wrap. I wouln't leave it covered for too long as the wounds need air to get to them. I would wash and dress the wounds at least twice a day to start. As they get a good scab on them without pus under the scab, I would spray the wounds with blu kote and leave them open to the air. I am sure that you will get some other really good tips from more people with more experience with this.

Clean the wound, pick out any hard pus that chickens have, and just keep it clean. This may require a few days in quarantine.

Chickens heal fast and very well. Just have to keep an eye on bands getting too night on birds which are actively growing.

I have so far cleaned the wound with Betadine and smeared Bacitracin all over it. Is there anything I should do to encourage the pus to drain? Do I need to separate these chickens from the rest of my flock? Are their eggs still OK to eat or should I discard them?
I appreciate all the replies thus far.

Eggs will be fine. Separate if you can't keep the wounds clean. Chicken pus isn't liquid, it's a cottage cheese like mass you'll want to pick out if present. Else, don't worry, it'll heal up.

Back
Top Bottom