URGENT---dog attack, what can i put on wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mt Top Chick, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Mt Top Chick

Mt Top Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Edgewood
    Two dogs attached yesterday and got half my flock, 15 of my girls. We had to cull 4 of them. My rooster is injured but lasted the night. his comb is turning blackish, he is limping, and had an open wound on his back. However, he is still with the remaining flock and he did eat and drink, but he just wants to hang out in the chicken coop. What can we do to help the wound???????

Gina

[email protected]

2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    How bad is his injuries? I wouldn't keep him with the rest of your chickens if he has open wounds. The others will likely start pecking him and cause more injuries and could kill him. I will leave it to others to give advice on the care of his wounds. I hope this helped you some

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Like the other poster said don't leave him the the flock, wash his wounds with saline or iodine mixed with water then put neosporin or something simular on it and give him plenty of TLC. Nice place by himself till he's all healed

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Don't worry to much.

Eating and drinking is a good sign.

you should seperate him from the others, he's sure to die

if hes outdoors with those injuries.

bring him inside or in the garage atleast in a dog crate/small cage.

Are his wounds deep? Try and bandage him up if you can.

Wash his wounds out (no proxide) then doctor his wounds with neosporin,

and give him things like scrambled eggs.

Good luck and keep us updated

Becca

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  5. Mt Top Chick

Mt Top Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    Edgewood
    Thank you all for your fast response and sorry for my slow one.
    I moved him into our large dog cage where he is resting peacefully in a nice warm room. his wounds don't appear to be deep so I think he managed to get away while the dogs tore into easier prey. we cleaned his wounds and they seem to be healing well. going to watching him to see how he does.
    thanks again for all your help.

Gina

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good to hear your roo is feeling better, now you need to keep him in a cooler room so when you put him back out with the rest he doesn't get sick from going from warm to cold. In other words acclimate him slowly back into the outside.

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    you might get some 'newskin' to put on the wounds- it is in the pharmacy section, you wipe it on and it seals the wound with antibiotics, and stays long enough for the wound to heal some- used it on a neck injury of one of my pullets and did the trick- keep us posted!

8. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I use blue cote on most everything. I have had pretty good luck with it. Just be warned if it gets on your skin you will be purple and people will look at you funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by