Urgent? Droopy tail, lethargic hen

So sorry to bother but I tried Google & just can't seem to get the phrasing right to find an answer. She's in an isolation box with straw, food and water but my new concern is encouraging her to lay. I've left her in a quiet, dark room etc but nothing. I'm hoping to get her to lay before her becoming egg bound is an issue

So sorry to bother but I tried Google & just can't seem to get the phrasing right to find an answer. She's in an isolation box with straw, food and water but my new concern is encouraging her to lay. I've left her in a quiet, dark room etc but nothing. I'm hoping to get her to lay before her becoming egg bound is an issue
If you want them to stop laying, then putting them in a dark room for 12-16 hrs a day will do that over a period of time.

Letting her be in light/out during the day may help if she's going to lay.
Unfortunately, with some of the symptoms you describe, I fear she has a reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Internal Laying, Salpingitis or similar - any of these are common in laying hens.

So sorry for not updating the thread! The isolation & drink seemed to work for a time although she was still a bit wobbly if you got her to flap or something (so she was sleeping in a cat cage with straw on the ground in the coop until she got back to her full health) however she's taken the same turn again - it's no longer urgent (I know how to treat it in the short term) but some help on her condition would be appreciated- I can't keep treating the same symptoms until she dies of something else.

She's laying down a lot & walks pigeon toed (feet pointing in wards) which none of my other girls do. Her tail is down (again) and she's walking quite upright (heads way up - tail is way down) she doesn't react when the others peck or bully her

So sorry for not updating the thread! The isolation & drink seemed to work for a time although she was still a bit wobbly if you got her to flap or something (so she was sleeping in a cat cage with straw on the ground in the coop until she got back to her full health) however she's taken the same turn again - it's no longer urgent (I know how to treat it in the short term) but some help on her condition would be appreciated- I can't keep treating the same symptoms until she dies of something else.

She's laying down a lot & walks pigeon toed (feet pointing in wards) which none of my other girls do. Her tail is down (again) and she's walking quite upright (heads way up - tail is way down) she doesn't react when the others peck or bully her
I'm sorry that she's still not doing well.

She may have a reproductive problem that is taking it's tole on her.

I feel like I should update the thread for anyone who has similar problems 😅 unfortunately we lost the hen yesterday after she became very lethargic quite quickly

Update a year later- my last 2 hens got it- started them on a 5 day course of Coxoid (? Coccidiosis medicine) and the chuck is showing significant improvements- we're only on day 3 but we're pretty sure it was oddly presenting coccidiosis!

Back
Top Bottom