URGENT: DUCK ATTACKED BY HAWK

jessiduck

Songster
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
New York
Sorry for writing a book :

The morning started off fine. I let my ducks and chickens out for some free-range time.
My younger brother was home, so I felt safe to go quickly to the store with my mom to pick up a few things.
We were only gone about an hour, when we pulled into the drive way and my father came running out to the car.
At first, he said a hawk had attacked a chicken, but later we found out that wasn't so.
I ran out the backdoor with tears running down my face frantically looking for my ducks and chickens.
I looked and saw them all hiding in the pine trees, trying to escape the hawk's wrath.
The closer I got to the trees, the more I knew something was wrong.
All four chickens came out and were fine. Then our drake and one of my two females came out.
My other female duck, Sonny stayed in the bushes which I thought was odd.
Slowly, she waddled out to greet me--I knew this wasn't good. I saw blood on the top of her bill and whitish scratch marks from the hawks talons. The fear that gripped my heart was unreal. I brought some water for her which she gently sipped. I noticed the ridging underneath her bill was sticking out. I'm assuming that the hawk ripped the flesh underneath her bill out with its talons. I didn't see any blood in the water.
I have the duck and chicken runs currently covered with blueberry netting. (I plan to cover them with some heavier metal wiring, chicken wire etc.)
A few minutes later, the hawk came back into our yard. I ran out the door and screamed at it and it immediately flew away.
I guess being a loud Italian pays off for once LOL.

Is there anything I can do in the morning to make Sonny more comfortable or to prevent infection(s)?
For food, I plan on just feeding them a rice and pea mash-up, because I know she won't be able to eat the hard feed we give to her.
Any and all advice will be appreciated<3.
Thanks!
~Jess

Awww, I hope she gets better!!
hugs.gif

jessiduck,

a photo would help.* Sometimes my old brain doesn't process words well, especially when I am concerned, for you and the duck.

I would get the duck into a lukewarm bath tonight. A big worry is infection, and the sooner you start cleaning the wound and applying topical antibiotic the better chance she has.

*added:
please don't feel you have to take a photo. I just wanted to admit I am having trouble picturing what the wound looks like.

hugs.gif

Last edited:
I will try to get a picture if I can get her to stay still! It's on the side of her bill, pretty sure the right side!
Thank you for the advice, Amiga! You're always a great help<3

We had a red-tailed hawk in our area after Hurricane Sandy. My husband interrupted the attack and saved the duck. The poor fellow got scalped. My husband separated him, washed his wounds in betadyne, and kept him in a dog crate for a week or so. He kept cleaning the wound for 3 or 4 days, but ended up leaving it open to the air since the duck removed the vet-wrap. The second week we moved him to a small enclosure and gave him a tub to bathe in.

Now a month later, the skin has almost grown over the skull and he is back as feisty as ever. So, keep the wound clean, and provide lots of clean water since the duck will also do a fair bit of self-grooming. Resilient buggers.

(the hawk actually killed one the next day, but after we stood guard for the next few days and keeping everyone in lockdown he went away).

Thank you all for your concerns<3. Sonny is doing dandy! She healed up rather quickly! So sorry to hear about your loss beardiemom<3.
The hawk came back for some rats that we're free-ranging in our chickens run. He got caught in the blueberry netting and played dead with his wings sprawled out!!!
My brother has some awesome photos on his iphone, I should have him send them to me to show you all!!!! It was a scary creature!

Thank you all for your concerns<3. Sonny is doing dandy! She healed up rather quickly! So sorry to hear about your loss beardiemom<3.
The hawk came back for some rats that we're free-ranging in our chickens run. He got caught in the blueberry netting and played dead with his wings sprawled out!!!
My brother has some awesome photos on his iphone, I should have him send them to me to show you all!!!! It was a scary creature!
I'm so glad your duck is doing better!! I lost my favorite duck to a hawk..:/ Hope she heals quickly!!! :)

Sorry for writing a book :

The morning started off fine. I let my ducks and chickens out for some free-range time.
My younger brother was home, so I felt safe to go quickly to the store with my mom to pick up a few things.
We were only gone about an hour, when we pulled into the drive way and my father came running out to the car.
At first, he said a hawk had attacked a chicken, but later we found out that wasn't so.
I ran out the backdoor with tears running down my face frantically looking for my ducks and chickens.
I looked and saw them all hiding in the pine trees, trying to escape the hawk's wrath.
The closer I got to the trees, the more I knew something was wrong.
All four chickens came out and were fine. Then our drake and one of my two females came out.
My other female duck, Sonny stayed in the bushes which I thought was odd.
Slowly, she waddled out to greet me--I knew this wasn't good. I saw blood on the top of her bill and whitish scratch marks from the hawks talons. The fear that gripped my heart was unreal. I brought some water for her which she gently sipped. I noticed the ridging underneath her bill was sticking out. I'm assuming that the hawk ripped the flesh underneath her bill out with its talons. I didn't see any blood in the water.
I have the duck and chicken runs currently covered with blueberry netting. (I plan to cover them with some heavier metal wiring, chicken wire etc.)
A few minutes later, the hawk came back into our yard. I ran out the door and screamed at it and it immediately flew away.
I guess being a loud Italian pays off for once LOL.

Is there anything I can do in the morning to make Sonny more comfortable or to prevent infection(s)?
For food, I plan on just feeding them a rice and pea mash-up, because I know she won't be able to eat the hard feed we give to her.
Any and all advice will be appreciated<3.
Thanks!
~Jess
yeah, Hawks are a pain. I was letting my ducks out running in the yard, and a hawk attacked my little wood duck. i just grabbed it and threw it off of her. was pretty scary. How is Sonny?

Back
Top Bottom