URGENT!!! Duck not walking!!

lindsbradway

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2016
New Jersey
I have a Welsh harlequin duck. She thinks she can fly but sadly no. She can glide across the room but that's about it. She is smaller than the other duck that I have, but she is 2 weeks older. Besides he point. She glided out of her pen and onto the wooden flier of my porch and I walked by as this happened. It looked like she landed heavily on her left side. She then started to limp immediately after she landed. I picked her up and brought her to the living room so she had more traction to walk on and she still limped, I felt her foot and looked at it but I couldn't see anything wrong. I then felt her hip and it doesn't feel the same any the other one. Could she have hurt her hip? Help me I'm a first time duck momma :confused:

She's not walking at all she keeps her leg pulled up
I had a similar situation and all i did was ice the ducks leg/foot. Put ice in a plastic bag, crush it up in there so it's in smaller pieces. Pick up your duck, put it on your lap and hold the ice bag in place over the foot/leg while keeping the duck calm on your lap. Make sure the duck is not uncomfortable. Hold for 10 min a 2-3 times a day and it should be better the following day. The next day my duck was back to 100%. Hope this helps!
thumbsup.gif

I had a similar situation and all i did was ice the ducks leg/foot. Put ice in a plastic bag, crush it up in there so it's in smaller pieces. Pick up your duck, put it on your lap and hold the ice bag in place over the foot/leg while keeping the duck calm on your lap. Make sure the duck is not uncomfortable. Hold for 10 min a 2-3 times a day and it should be better the following day. The next day my duck was back to 100%. Hope this helps!
thumbsup.gif
@lindsbradway

She's been the same, she won't put any weight on her foot at all, I have been giving her warm baths and that seems to be working while she's in the water but I can keep her in my bathtub all day. I will try the ice pack thing and get back to you guys

She's been the same, she won't put any weight on her foot at all, I have been giving her warm baths and that seems to be working while she's in the water but I can keep her in my bathtub all day. I will try the ice pack thing and get back to you guys
Can you see any sign of bumble foot on the bottom of her foot?

No, no sign of bumblefoot. She is doing slightly better. She limps around when I take her outside, and when she gets tired you can tell. She makes this high pitch wine noise. Then she starts hopping and crawling around. I have been icing her leg, that didn't seem to work. I give her a warm bath each day and that seems to work well at the time.

No, no sign of bumblefoot. She is doing slightly better. She limps around when I take her outside, and when she gets tired you can tell. She makes this high pitch wine noise. Then she starts hopping and crawling around. I have been icing her leg, that didn't seem to work. I give her a warm bath each day and that seems to work well at the time.
Try some Epsom salt compresses you can make up the solution in a bowl or small bucket 1/2 cup ES to half gal of water more or less. Soak a soft cloth wring till just not dripping then wrap the injured leg. Or just plop her down into the bucket both feet since that is easier, hold her there for at least 5 mins. You don't want her drinking this solution since ES is also a laxative. She most likely has a bad sprain if nothing is broken. They take a long time to heal. So limit walking but do let her soak. Just like with us rest is best and warm ES soaks..

Back
Top Bottom