URGENT... DYING CHICK. UPDATE!

FiveMileFarmer

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2015
hello,

first hatch. spare me the lecture, i just read... too late, that I was too hasty in assisting this hatch. I know i made a mistake and i feel terrible, but its done now. I just need help to keep this little guy alive if i can... please keep reading.

I had an egg with an external pip, and i could hear it chirping. however, it was on the bottom and not in the air cell. i got flustered and started to assist. the chick lost a lot of blood. the bottom half of the shell is still on the chick and it is still alive and in the incubator. but i am very worried it may have lost too much blood and / or it may become dehydrated or dry up because at least half of its body is now exposed. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO IMPROVE THE CHANCES OF SURVIVAL?!

again, i know i messed up, but it is done now. how do i keep this little guy alive?

please help. please.

thank you.

Keep it warm and humid. Either up your humidity in the incubator or wrap it in a warm, damp paper towel. (Keep the beak out) It needs time to absorb the rest of the veins and yolk sac.

Really not much else you can do at this point, but learn from what happened. Hope the little guy makes it!

Tons of info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 scroll down to assisted hatching.

Thanks. Yea I read the article too late :( she's still hanging in there. Pray for her! My humidity is at 77% ...thank you for your response.

I would have some of this made up for tomorrow, it may need it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...earn-chat-meet-new-friends/3870#post_16135610

fl.gif

She's starting to move around more, lifted her out from under her wing. And almost opening her eyes. She's a fighter. I think she's gonna make it. Keep praying!

i prayed one last time that the little chick would survive and went to bed. woke up two hours later, she looked the same. another 2 hours and she was flopping around all over the bator! she was still connected by the chord, and i did eventually have to cut it, but she is fine now, although a little anxious to get out of the crowded incubator. she is drying off, and i have another egg in the zipping phase. thank God, this one pipped in the proper place and i won't need to "assist." at least now though i read the whole article...

i gave her a few sips of electrolyte mix (due to the blood loss) and back into the bator. i think she will do fine. just praying my other cream leg bar egg hatches too so she will have a sister or brother!

thanks!

thank YOU! here it is... it's a cream legbar... so what do you think? male or female? i am thinking female, hope so!

Back
Top Bottom