Hours after hatch chick has a blood sack

romanspoultry

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2022
Please be patient with me.
The egg came from my aunt, first time we tried to hatch one of her eggs. The chick grew healthy, strong veins and movement throughout the entire process. On day 20, the chick pipped and after 24 no progress. Another 20 hours passed and the chick poked a little more. After 46 hours I was advised to assist. I did and the chick came out extremely healthy. He was chirping and moving like a worm. I left him in the incubator, went to work. When I came back, he was still moving around and chirping but this sack had appeared coming out of him. I'm guessing an umbilical hernia. Is there no saving him? He's still alive in the incubator as I type.

Attachments

• IMG_20231013_215343.jpg
    IMG_20231013_215343.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 72
Maybe use a q-tip with coconut oil (or I’ve read about people using haemorrhoid cream) to keep the prolapse moist. If you can put him back in the bottom half of his egg shell that would be ideal so nothing dries and gets stuck to the paper towel.

That looks like what I just experienced.
Unfortunately my chick did not make it.
It died during day two.
Mine was hatched under a hen and I found it abandoned in the morning. It was very cold. I took it home and put it under a brooding heater on a towel. I did not notice the protrusion until the second day.
I examined the chick because I saw no poop.
I assumed pasty butt and tried cleaning it by holding its butt in warm water. I thought it was pasty butt because the protrusion was very dark colored. Once I washed it, it looked that fleshy color.
The protrusion on mine looked smaller than what I see on your photo.

I am not sure if there is much that you can do.
I suspect that this is causing a blockage and its effect is same as pasty butt.
Mine was more lively on day one than day two.
Sorry, and good luck. I hope yours pulls through.

I examined the chick because I saw no poop.
I assumed pasty butt and tried cleaning it by holding its butt in warm water. I thought it was pasty butt because the protrusion was very dark colored. Once I washed it, it looked that fleshy color.
The protrusion on mine looked smaller than what I see on your photo.

I am not sure if there is much that you can do.
I suspect that this is causing a blockage and its effect is same as pasty butt.

I’ve read some threads about this issue and it seems like it does prevent the chick from being able to poop. But it seems the prolapse can spontaneously go back in, and then they expel a hard white mass — most likely the accumulation of blocked poop. I read about someone who tried to do a gently tummy massage to help the chick.

Sorry yours didn’t make it @LuciferRoo :(

Back
Top Bottom