URGENT: Egg-bound and in obvious distress

Cambium29

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
9 month old Nankin, has been laying eggs fine until today.

Very swollen red vent, panting heavily, eyes closed, drooping tail, bright red comb and wattles, not moving much.

I sat her in a warm bath, also tried masagging her abdomen. Put a bit of oil in and around her vent. It's been over an hour. She has not passed the egg yet and is in distress.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

No suggestions from this newb, but I'll be watching to see what the experts have to say...

caf.gif

I've read here on BYC that heat and humidity is the key not actually bathing them. Place her in the bathroom and turn on a hot shower with doors closed. Read several accounts how that did wonders in less than 30 minutes. Then if nothing you have to get the gloves on and go get that egg. She'll be limber with all that heat and humidity.

Good luck.

Update:

She didn't pass the egg. She got weaker and weaker until she couldn't stand. I had her back end sitting in warm water with her chest and head propped on a towel. Her comb and wattles were nearly purple. About 15 minutes after the original post, she let out a miserable cry then closed her eyes. Gone.

Ugh.

sad.png

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. How horrible that must have been. It sounds as though you did everything you could have done, and it was one of those unavoidable tragedies we all have to face, sooner or later.

I'm so sorry...

Oh boy, if the vent is pulsing it's a dead giveaway. I had one distressed eggbound hen and gave her a long warm bath. Droppered her water mixed with a little plain asperin and calcium (you can drop liquids right on top of the beak you know?). Anyway, lubed her up real good around the vent and way up on the inside with olive oil. Moved the egg a little up there but stopped when it hurt her. Anyway, left her to dry in a cat crate with a heater facing it and she layed about an hour later. Aspirin reduces swelling, oil increases viscosity, calcium gives strength to push the egg out. Sorry I didn't get to you in time.

Are you sure there was a bound egg?

The discoloration of the wattles sticks out to me. I have EYP on the brain since I just put down a hen with it but discoloration was one of the indicators.

Did you do a postmortem on her? It is hard for a lot of people to do but helps with future diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom