Urgent - extreme foot swelling & no local vets available

I doubt that is mycoplasma synovitis, but I do think there are signs of tissue dying. It may not include the whole foot, but there may be parts. I would soak the foot once a day in warm water with some chlorhexidene or Betadine for disinfecting, and to promote healing. Apply plain antibiotic ointment to the foot after drying. Just as with frostbite, sometimes a chicken may lose part of a foot, toes, or all of the foot. It will self amputate in time. It may take weeks or a month to see where it happens. But I would try to prevent infection.
I stopped soaking because the foot was staying far too wet because she is oozing so much fluid from it constantly :( it was making all of the skin peel off of her feet and causing open sores so I laid off of it.

I have been treating it with some sprays and ointment and the antibiotics that I mix with water. I will keep doing this and see if it starts to help

Thank you for all the insight and info !

Hey all,

Just posting an update. It’s almost been one week since junes initial swelling/foot issue. Here’s a pic of a time lapse of the last few days. I gave her a 5 day treatment of antibiotics in water & clean her foot daily with iodine, antiseptic spray , and neosporin.

She’s eating and drinking normal, chatty, in good spirits. She walks on the foot (not well but she does walk )

I still don’t see any area that started this injury. The area where the bumble foot was removed between her toes is perfectly fine and always was

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Still no available vets. I may try to seek an online option as a last resort

Attachments

• 07FD7394-1E6C-46FA-BF67-C69714175021.jpeg
    07FD7394-1E6C-46FA-BF67-C69714175021.jpeg
    792.2 KB · Views: 6
It does look like the inflammation has gone down.

I'd be inclined to let the foot dry out for a few days and only swab it once daily with Chlorhexidine instead of soaking. See if that makes a difference.

A Scaly Leg Mite infestation and infection can take a good while to resolve.

If vet care is an option, that's always a good idea.

Any update on her foot? Just a thought came to mind as my dog is weening off prednisone. If you had any sitting around from an earlier prescription. No idea if it would work for a chicken or what dosage, but if anyone can advise on that please correct/inform.

I haven’t logged on here in some time and had given up all hope on June BUT I am happy to report she is still alive ! She ended up losing all of her toes and part of her foot , but she is still happy and alive! Her one eye still swells up every so often (same side as her bad foot ) but other than than she seems to be healthy ! She went through a full molt and has beautiful feathers, she gained all her weight back, and the girls stopped picking on her :) her new life consists of hobbling around the yard with lots of breaks and she lays down a lot (she is a big girl) she sleeps on the floor because she can’t roost. But other than that she seems happy and not in any pain , just learning to navigate on her new foot :) her bestie Aurora has been by her side and never leaves her and stands by her all day 🥰 it’s been a sweet relationship to watch

Just wanted to share ! Still have no idea what causes this or what happened- but I am glad she made it through the best she can !

Attachments

• D9D440CB-C1A4-40B7-8843-F39A3A7C8396.jpeg
    D9D440CB-C1A4-40B7-8843-F39A3A7C8396.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1661ECA1-D9D3-4146-BF3F-EBD331640286.jpeg
    1661ECA1-D9D3-4146-BF3F-EBD331640286.jpeg
    767.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 12FF71CB-4E5A-4053-983B-A8208C095DDB.jpeg
    12FF71CB-4E5A-4053-983B-A8208C095DDB.jpeg
    766.3 KB · Views: 1
I haven’t logged on here in some time and had given up all hope on June BUT I am happy to report she is still alive ! She ended up losing all of her toes and part of her foot , but she is still happy and alive! Her one eye still swells up every so often (same side as her bad foot ) but other than than she seems to be healthy ! She went through a full molt and has beautiful feathers, she gained all her weight back, and the girls stopped picking on her :) her new life consists of hobbling around the yard with lots of breaks and she lays down a lot (she is a big girl) she sleeps on the floor because she can’t roost. But other than that she seems happy and not in any pain , just learning to navigate on her new foot :) her bestie Aurora has been by her side and never leaves her and stands by her all day 🥰 it’s been a sweet relationship to watch

Just wanted to share ! Still have no idea what causes this or what happened- but I am glad she made it through the best she can !
She looks great! What a strange thing to happen. Poor girl. Glad she pulled through.

Back
Top Bottom