Urgent - Has anyone on here successfully collected and used rainwater for their chickens/geese/guinea fowl/quail?

Has anyone on here successfully used rainwater for their chickens/mixed flock?

• Some of my flock got sick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
Our well is having trouble this summer and we need to find another way the water our garden and flock fast. I know you can use rainwater for the garden but has anyone had success on here with their flock? I can't find many people on here who do it, so I just want to make sure it's safe. And if you have had success, would you mind sharing how you collect/store the water and keep it clean? Thx,

I keep planning on setting up a rain barrel water collection, but have yet to find an affordable barrel. With the AI going right now, I won't be collecting water for my chickens, but want it set up for plant watering and will work toward watering the gals with it too.

I just use buckets under the drip line of the coop roof. I don’t keep it for too long. More than a week and it goes in the garden. I scrub the buckets a few times a month. I can’t recommend it since It’s not a safe way of doing it.... but I’ve never had my flock get sick from it either.
A safer way would be to set up an actual rain barrel with screens or even a filtration system. I’ve seen people on here to who have that kind of system set up but I can’t remember who to be able to tag them. You might try asking on the sister site Sufficient Self they are a homesteading forum and should have a lot of info a rain collection and how to do it safely.

Our well is having trouble this summer and we need to find another way the water our garden and flock fast. I know you can use rainwater for the garden but has anyone had success on here with their flock? I can't find many people on here who do it, so I just want to make sure it's safe. And if you have had success, would you mind sharing how you collect/store the water and keep it clean? Thx,
Here is an older thread that may be helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rain-water-ok-for-chickens.917089/

Personal experience: I've seen chickens drink from puddles, and I've collected rainwater with a kids' plastic wading pool to use in an aquarium. Neither the chickens nor the fish had any problems. I did not try to store the water, so I have no advice about that.

B5DC0252-5D17-4ECF-A1C8-9E3177073E20.jpeg

Super quick and easy project. Works like a dream. No taking water out to the chickens.

Attachments

• EE9BFB5C-8D40-41DD-BCCB-52D6C51997DD.jpeg
    EE9BFB5C-8D40-41DD-BCCB-52D6C51997DD.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom